NEW YORK — Baseball has gone to court to get an insurance company to tell all it knows about leaked financial information and several MLB teams.
In papers filed Oct. 7 in New York Supreme Court, the commissioner's office wants Beazley Insurance Co. Inc. to show cause why it shouldn't be required to produce records that could identify the source of leaks.
MLB said Beazley refused to cooperate with baseball's investigation into a story by The Associated Press, published in August 2010, and club documents posted by Deadspin.com, that same month.
Martin Klotz, a lawyer for baseball, said in legal papers that six insurers received the confidential financial information from teams and that all except Beazley cooperated with MLB's investigation.
Baseball said it intends to sue or seek an injunction against those who leaked the information.
The AP story focused on the financial data of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Deadspin published documents from the Pirates, Tampa Bay, Florida, the Los Angeles Angels, Seattle and Texas.
MLB Spokesman Pat Courtney said the league was not commenting.
'We're reviewing the suit and have no further comment at this time," said Lou Ferrara, AP's vice president and managing editor for sports.
Deadspin editor-in-chief A.J. Daulerio declined comment.
"Beazley has cooperated with Major League Baseball," spokeswoman Kimberly Baldoni said. "We conducted an internal investigation, which yielded no evidence that the company or our employees were responsible for the leak. The petition filed has no merit."
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Ansah grabs the...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45