NEW YORK — Baseball has gone to court to get an insurance company to tell all it knows about leaked financial information and several MLB teams.
In papers filed Oct. 7 in New York Supreme Court, the commissioner's office wants Beazley Insurance Co. Inc. to show cause why it shouldn't be required to produce records that could identify the source of leaks.
MLB said Beazley refused to cooperate with baseball's investigation into a story by The Associated Press, published in August 2010, and club documents posted by Deadspin.com, that same month.
Martin Klotz, a lawyer for baseball, said in legal papers that six insurers received the confidential financial information from teams and that all except Beazley cooperated with MLB's investigation.
Baseball said it intends to sue or seek an injunction against those who leaked the information.
The AP story focused on the financial data of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Deadspin published documents from the Pirates, Tampa Bay, Florida, the Los Angeles Angels, Seattle and Texas.
MLB Spokesman Pat Courtney said the league was not commenting.
'We're reviewing the suit and have no further comment at this time," said Lou Ferrara, AP's vice president and managing editor for sports.
Deadspin editor-in-chief A.J. Daulerio declined comment.
"Beazley has cooperated with Major League Baseball," spokeswoman Kimberly Baldoni said. "We conducted an internal investigation, which yielded no evidence that the company or our employees were responsible for the leak. The petition filed has no merit."
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Utah Jazz: Hugh Greenwood isn’t just a...
- Video: Former BYU outfielder Jacob...
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 110
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 64
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 30
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 23
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 20
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8