Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
A recent letter ("CTBT needs enforcement," Oct. 6) characterizing Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty supporters as having a "serious naivete" makes for flashy rhetoric but rings hollow when applied to actual supporters of the treaty.
Vocal supporters of the CTBT include former Sen. Jake Garn; Generals Brent Scowcroft and Colin Powell; Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger and George Shultz; and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, to name only a few. Far from naive starry-eyed idealists, these individuals have dedicated their lives to protecting the United States from security threats since the Cold War.
They now support the CTBT because they understand it to be a critical step towards boosting national security and continuing their work of protecting our nation's interests.
Salt Lake City
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still separate...
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be contained
- Richard Davis: Don't turn A.G. into an...
- About Utah: His business is fun, games and...
- In our opinion: Letting Afghanistan revert to...
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends...
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 41
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Charles Krauthammer: The real problem... 37
- Letter: Preventative care 29
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends... 27
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 27
- Letter: Insurance website 21
- Letter: Buying politicians 20