Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
A recent letter ("CTBT needs enforcement," Oct. 6) characterizing Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty supporters as having a "serious naivete" makes for flashy rhetoric but rings hollow when applied to actual supporters of the treaty.
Vocal supporters of the CTBT include former Sen. Jake Garn; Generals Brent Scowcroft and Colin Powell; Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger and George Shultz; and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, to name only a few. Far from naive starry-eyed idealists, these individuals have dedicated their lives to protecting the United States from security threats since the Cold War.
They now support the CTBT because they understand it to be a critical step towards boosting national security and continuing their work of protecting our nation's interests.
Salt Lake City
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Jay Evensen: Utah's prosperity is threatened...
- Letter: Marijuana, an evil plant
- My view: Prison relocation study is being...
- Richard Davis: Another conflict of interest...
- David Jensen: Humans are responsible for...
- Letter: Divorce risks
- Hinkins & King: No losers in Utah’s...
- Letter: Marijuana, an evil plant 54
- David Jensen: Humans are responsible... 43
- Jay Evensen: Utah's prosperity is... 28
- My view: Prison relocation study is... 23
- Letter: Keep fighting drugs 21
- Michael Gerson: Religious... 19
- My view: Higher ed students can better... 18
- Richard Davis: Another conflict of... 18