Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
A recent letter ("CTBT needs enforcement," Oct. 6) characterizing Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty supporters as having a "serious naivete" makes for flashy rhetoric but rings hollow when applied to actual supporters of the treaty.
Vocal supporters of the CTBT include former Sen. Jake Garn; Generals Brent Scowcroft and Colin Powell; Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger and George Shultz; and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, to name only a few. Far from naive starry-eyed idealists, these individuals have dedicated their lives to protecting the United States from security threats since the Cold War.
They now support the CTBT because they understand it to be a critical step towards boosting national security and continuing their work of protecting our nation's interests.
Salt Lake City
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood relying...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Lois M. Collins: Wandering back into the land...
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass
- Letter: Modest energy progress
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought
- In our opinion: Poll shows Utahns favor...
- Letter: Erratic protests