Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
A recent letter ("CTBT needs enforcement," Oct. 6) characterizing Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty supporters as having a "serious naivete" makes for flashy rhetoric but rings hollow when applied to actual supporters of the treaty.
Vocal supporters of the CTBT include former Sen. Jake Garn; Generals Brent Scowcroft and Colin Powell; Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger and George Shultz; and Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, to name only a few. Far from naive starry-eyed idealists, these individuals have dedicated their lives to protecting the United States from security threats since the Cold War.
They now support the CTBT because they understand it to be a critical step towards boosting national security and continuing their work of protecting our nation's interests.
Salt Lake City
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Why the working-class...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- This year's most popular editorials
- Robert Bennett: Lesson for Cruz —...
- In our opinion: Flawed torture report didn't...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Cogitating on...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 64
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 48
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Letter: Police not the problem 24
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation... 22
- Reconnecting with Cuba is a good move... 21
- In our opinion: Flawed torture report... 20