But as Smith coasted the final 5 yards and crossed the goal line, safety Roman Harper sprinted in on the left side and leveled Smith with a hard hit.
Smith immediately jumped up and spun the ball to the turf defiantly while players from both sides ran down and began shoving each other. Smith then locked up with Saints safety Malcolm Jenkins, shoving him to the ground and standing over him while holding a firm grip on Jenkins' facemask before the scuffle finally ended.
"I did what I did, which was spin the ball, score a touchdown," Smith said. "I didn't do anything. ... People say I'm unpredictable but I'm growing up a little bit. I'm waiting for my growth spurt still but I'm growing up."
Harper's late hit was the only penalty called.
"If you're going to score, go score, but a guy is not going to try and just walk it in on us like that," Harper said. "You're going to have to pay for it as you get past the goal line."
Notes: Carolina's DeAngelo Williams had a 69-yard touchdown run on an option pitch from Newton in the second quarter. ... The game was a matchup of the past two Heisman Trophy winners in Newton and Ingram from rivals Auburn and Alabama. ... Saints receiver Marques Colston had five catches for 69 yards in his second game back from a broken collar bone.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34