But Michael's brothers Jermaine and Randy and sister Janet have stayed away, saying it is wrong to hold the show at the same time as Murray's trial.
Before the show, Marlon Jackson said he respected his siblings' decision, but said he was sure Michael would have approved.
"Each one of us grieves differently," he said. "We want to celebrate the positive side of his life, the positive things that he did."
Some fan groups around also criticized the show for ticket prices that started at about $100 and for what some regard as an out-of-the-way location in Cardiff, 150 miles (240 kilometers) west of London.
"I believe it should wait, not only because of the Murray trial," said Wesley Noorhoff, president of a Dutch Michael Jackson fan club. "If you do a tribute to Michael, it has to be the best there is, just like Michael."
But those who came to Cardiff said it was a fitting antidote to the grim courtroom spectacle in Los Angeles.
"There's a lot of negativity in that courtroom," said Ronnie Lee, a 32-year-old truck driver from Pembroke, Wales, sporting a "Thriller" T-shirt. "This is a chance to say, 'Thank you Michael' and celebrate the music."
As the crowd poured out of the stadium, opinion was divided.
"Rubbish," said Sophie Stockdale, 23. "If you wanted to watch Beyonce on video link, you could do it on YouTube."
But Sophie Morris, also 23, said she'd loved it.
"It was amazing," she said. "I actually cried three or four times."
Jill Lawless can be reached at: http://twitter.com/JillLawless
- British politicians make final appeals in EU...
- Yellen faces GOP criticism over weak economic...
- North Korea makes apparent progress with...
- How the UK could remain in the EU even if it...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Slain British Parliament member memorialized...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Responding to Trump, Clinton says he has 'no...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 39
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 33
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to... 30
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote... 26
- Video game 'Thoughts and Prayers' mocks... 26
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 26