LOGAN — The Idaho Steelheads defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 in a shootout Saturday night in a preseason hockey matchup at the Eccles Ice Center in Logan.
With the loss, the Grizzlies finish the preseason 1-0-0-1.
Jeff LoVecchio and Tysen Dowzak scored first-period goals for Utah to give the team a 2-0 lead that would hold until the third period.
Idaho scored two in the third period to tie, including the tying goal with 3:35 left in regulation on the power-play.
Matt Reber scored in the second round of the shootout to give Utah a 1-0 lead, before Idaho scored in rounds three and seven for the win.
Utah goalie Shane Owen stopped 30 of 32 shots through overtime and stood tall in the shootout.
The Grizzlies open the regular season Friday at Maverik Center hosting Idaho at 7:05 p.m.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48