LOGAN — The Idaho Steelheads defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-2 in a shootout Saturday night in a preseason hockey matchup at the Eccles Ice Center in Logan.
With the loss, the Grizzlies finish the preseason 1-0-0-1.
Jeff LoVecchio and Tysen Dowzak scored first-period goals for Utah to give the team a 2-0 lead that would hold until the third period.
Idaho scored two in the third period to tie, including the tying goal with 3:35 left in regulation on the power-play.
Matt Reber scored in the second round of the shootout to give Utah a 1-0 lead, before Idaho scored in rounds three and seven for the win.
Utah goalie Shane Owen stopped 30 of 32 shots through overtime and stood tall in the shootout.
The Grizzlies open the regular season Friday at Maverik Center hosting Idaho at 7:05 p.m.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34