Utah Utes football: Turnovers plague Utah in 35-14 loss to Arizona State
A fumble by Reggie Dunn was retrieved by Arizona State linebacker Shelly Lyons on the Sun Devils' 39-yard line. In keeping with the destructive theme for Utah, the Arizona State offense cashed in on the turnover. A 12-yard scoring strike from Osweiler to Willie was followed by a PAT from Garoutte that capped all scoring in the contest.
"We came out with some resolve and scored on that first drive," Whittingham said. "Then when you start turning the ball over, most games will get away from you."
Utah trailed 10-7 at halftime after a late drive ended with an interception in the end zone. Arizona State safety Eddie Elder picked off a Hays pass intended for Rogers with 28 seconds remaining to wipe out a quick and effective march downfield by the Utes.
The 54-second series began on the Utah 20 with a 7-yard run by Hays. An incomplete pass followed before the junior connected on consecutive throws to Reggie Dunn (11 yards), DeVonte Christopher (13 yards) and Luke Matthews (21 yards). Hays then added a 12-yard run to put Utah on the Arizona State 16.
That's where the promising drive stalled. Three plays later, the Utes turned the ball over.
Arizona State then ran the clock out to end an opening half that was almost even statistically.
The Sun Devils had 188 yards of total offense and 11 first downs at the break, while the Utes finished with 181 and 10.
Utah jumped out to a 7-0 lead with 10:01 remaining in the first quarter. A 30-yard touchdown run by John White capped a five-play drive by the Utes.
An exchange of punts followed before Arizona State evened the score on 5-yard touchdown pass from Osweiler to Jamal Miles. A personal foul penalty kept the drive alive when Osweiler was sacked on third-and-8 near midfield, moving the ball well into Utah territory.
Arizona State broke the 7-7 tie in the second quarter on a 27-yard field goal by Garoutte with 1:22 remaining.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 45
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 15
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7