Utah Utes football: Turnovers plague Utah in 35-14 loss to Arizona State
A fumble by Reggie Dunn was retrieved by Arizona State linebacker Shelly Lyons on the Sun Devils' 39-yard line. In keeping with the destructive theme for Utah, the Arizona State offense cashed in on the turnover. A 12-yard scoring strike from Osweiler to Willie was followed by a PAT from Garoutte that capped all scoring in the contest.
"We came out with some resolve and scored on that first drive," Whittingham said. "Then when you start turning the ball over, most games will get away from you."
Utah trailed 10-7 at halftime after a late drive ended with an interception in the end zone. Arizona State safety Eddie Elder picked off a Hays pass intended for Rogers with 28 seconds remaining to wipe out a quick and effective march downfield by the Utes.
The 54-second series began on the Utah 20 with a 7-yard run by Hays. An incomplete pass followed before the junior connected on consecutive throws to Reggie Dunn (11 yards), DeVonte Christopher (13 yards) and Luke Matthews (21 yards). Hays then added a 12-yard run to put Utah on the Arizona State 16.
That's where the promising drive stalled. Three plays later, the Utes turned the ball over.
Arizona State then ran the clock out to end an opening half that was almost even statistically.
The Sun Devils had 188 yards of total offense and 11 first downs at the break, while the Utes finished with 181 and 10.
Utah jumped out to a 7-0 lead with 10:01 remaining in the first quarter. A 30-yard touchdown run by John White capped a five-play drive by the Utes.
An exchange of punts followed before Arizona State evened the score on 5-yard touchdown pass from Osweiler to Jamal Miles. A personal foul penalty kept the drive alive when Osweiler was sacked on third-and-8 near midfield, moving the ball well into Utah territory.
Arizona State broke the 7-7 tie in the second quarter on a 27-yard field goal by Garoutte with 1:22 remaining.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35