Raiders fullback Manase Tonga finished practice, took a shower and then added a new twist to his Friday routine — packing a suitcase for the team's trip to Houston.
Tonga is Oakland's only healthy fullback and could make his NFL debut against the Texans the way things are going.
Starter Marcel Reece is questionable with a lingering ankle injury and backup Richard Gordon already has been ruled out with a broken hand.
That forced coach Hue Jackson to be creative in practice this week and opened the door for Tonga, who is on the Raiders' practice squad for a second straight season after staring at BYU.
"Things are looking good, but I don't want to count my chickens before the eggs hatch," Tonga said before getting on a bus for the short ride to the Oakland airport. "I just have to make sure I'm ready."
NGATA FINED: Baltimore All-Pro defensive tackle Haloti Ngata has been fined $15,000 for lowering his helmet into the back of New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez.
Ngata was one of four players fined that amount by the NFL on Friday for rough hits.
Washington linebackers Rob Jackson and Perry Riley were disciplined for their play against St. Louis. Jackson was fined for driving Rams quarterback Sam Bradford to the ground. Also, Oakland defensive lineman Richard Seymour has been fined $7,500 for each of two hits.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 83
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 54
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 30
- Pac-12 South: Bruins the favorite, but... 22