"We've got to play to win. You've got to play to win every game and whatever that takes we've got to do," Whittingham continued. "If we have to go to the next guy, we've got to go to the next guy. But we've got to do what we've got to do to try to win a football game."
Adding to the urgency is the schedule. Utah's next two games are on the road — at Pittsburgh and at California.
The Utes are a bit vulnerable record-wise.
"Obviously it's not the way we wanted to start, but we've seen things in the last couple of games that we know we can take from and learn from," said junior fullback Luke Matthews. "So we're just excited for another opportunity. … Every week coming off a loss is a great chance to turn things around."
Utes on the air
Arizona State (4-1, 2-0)
at Utah (2-2, 0-2)
Saturday, 1:30 p.m.
TV: ROOT Radio: 700 AM
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @DirkFacer
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 183
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 65
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 56
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 55
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 48