Arizona State (4-1, 2-0) at Utah (2-2, 0-2)
Saturday, 1:30 p.m.
Rice-Eccles Stadium (45,017)
Salt Lake City
TV: FSN (Root)
Radio: 700 AM
Weather: Partly cloudy, 56 degrees
For Arizona State . . . The Sun Devils can extend their lead over Utah to three games and the tiebreaker in the South Division, pretty much knocking the Utes out of contention for a berth in the inaugural Pac-12 Championship Game.
For Utah . . . It's still early in the season, but the Utes probably need to win their final seven Pac-12 games in order to make it to the conference title game. At 2-2 overall, a win would be welcome before road trips to Pitt and Cal.
For Arizona State . . . The Sun Devils have won seven consecutive games over the Utes. They've also prevailed in nine of the last 10 meetings in a series that hasn't been renewed since 1993. Arizona State is 16-6 all-time against Utah.
For Utah . . . The Utes haven't fared well against ranked teams as of late — going 1-4 since upsetting Alabama in the 2009 Sugar Bowl. The lone victory was last season's 27-24 overtime decision over Pittsburgh at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
PLAYER TO WATCH
JAMAL MILES, Arizona State: The versatile junior is the only player in the country to have thrown a touchdown pass — in addition to scoring on a kickoff return, punt return and reception — this season.
UTAH'S OFFENSE VS. ASU LINEBACKER VONTAZE BURFICT: The highly touted junior is living up to expectations against opposing quarterbacks. Burfict already has 4.5 tackles-for-loss, four sacks, three pass breakups and an interception this season.
ARIZONA STATE: C Garth Gerhart (sprained ankle) is questionable. LT Evan Finkenberg (knee), WR T.J. Simpson (ACL), RB Deantre Lewis (shooting), DE Junior Onyeali (torn meniscus), LB Brandon Magee (torn Achilles) and CS Omar Bolden (ACL) are out.
UTAH: QB Jordan Wynn is out.
Arizona State plays at Oregon next Saturday, while Utah travels to Pittsburgh (10 a.m., ESPNU).
Date Opponent Time (TV)/result
Sept. 1 vs. Montana St. W, 27-10
Sept. 10 at USC L, 23-14
Sept. 17 at BYU W, 54-10
Oct. 1 vs. Washington L, 31-14
Oct. 8 vs. Arizona St. 1:30 (Root)
Oct. 15 at Pittsburgh 10 a.m. (ESPNU)
Oct. 22 at California TBA
Oct. 29 vs. Oregon St. TBA
Nov. 5 at Arizona TBA
Nov. 12 vs. UCLA TBA
Nov. 19at Washington St.TBA
Nov. 25 vs. Colorado 1:30 p.m. (Root)
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- First steps: Utes open season with... 55
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 44
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42