San Jose State (2-3) at BYU (3-2)
Saturday, 8:15 p.m. MT
LaVell Edwards Stadium (63,278)
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
Weather: partly cloudy, 50 degrees
For San Jose State . . . the Spartans are looking to record back-to-back nonconference road wins for the first time since 1982 and earn some national respect.
For BYU . . . the Cougars are riding a two-game winning streak and can't afford to lose at home to a team from the Western Athletic Conference. BYU is working through a quarterback quandary and hoping to jumpstart the offense..
For San Jose State . . . the Spartans haven't beaten BYU in Provo in 50 years, when they won a 14-13 decision in 1961.
For BYU . . . the Cougars have won five of the last six meetings against SJSU, though the two teams haven't played since 1998.
San Jose State will win if . . . the Spartans can make big plays against the BYU defense, and force turnovers. SJSU is No. 31 in the country, tied with the Cougars, in takeaways with 10.
PLAYER TO WATCH
RILEY NELSON, BYU: The Cougar quarterback, fresh off of rallying BYU to a win over Utah State, could start or see significant action against San Jose State. Can he engineer more scoring drives like he did against the Aggies?
BYU's FRONT SEVEN VS. SAN JOSE STATE QUARTERBACK MATT FAULKNER AND RUNNING BACK BRANDON RUTLEY: The Cougars gave up big running plays last week to Utah State. Spartan running back Brandon Rutley, who is No. 24 in the nation in rushing, averaging 103 yards per game, though he has been slowed by an ankle injury.
SAN JOSE STATE: Running back Brandon Rutley (ankle) has been slowed by an ankle injury and will be a game-time decision.
San Jose State hosts Hawaii on Oct. 14. BYU travels to Oregon State on Oct. 15.
(All times Mountain)
Sept. 3 BYU 14, Ole Miss 13
Sept. 10 Texas 17, BYU 16
Sept. 17 Utah 54, BYU 10
Sept. 23 BYU 24, Central Florida 17
Sept. 30 BYU 27, Utah State 24
Oct. 8 vs. San Jose State (8:15 p.m., ESPNU)
Oct. 15 at Oregon State (2 p.m., KBYU, Fox College Sports Pacific)
Oct. 22 vs. Idaho State (1 p.m., BYUtv)
Oct. 28 vs. TCU, in Arlington, Tex., (6 p.m., ESPN)
Nov. 12 vs. Idaho (TBD, ESPN Networks)
Nov. 19 vs. New Mexico State TBD (TBD, ESPN Networks)
Dec. 3 at Hawaii (5:30 p.m., ESPN2)
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 28
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 18
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 17