Thank you, Deseret News, for your excellent editorial calling for the ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty ("Ratify test ban treaty," Sept. 30). During the 2010 legislative session, we sponsored a House Resolution urging Utah's senators to support the ratification of the CTBT.
Before the floor vote, our colleagues in the House offered impassioned speeches discussing the national security benefits of the CTBT, the continued safety and security of our nuclear weapons arsenal under the current scientific Stockpile Stewardship Program and the painful legacy left by the history of nuclear weapons testing in Nevada.
Following these favorable floor speeches from both Republicans and Democrats, the House voted unanimously to pass a resolution urging our senators to support the ratification of the CTBT. Once again, we would like to join our voices to that of the Deseret News in urging Sen. Orrin Hatch and Sen. Mike Lee to support the CTBT.
As former Sen. Jake Garn so powerfully wrote in his recent op-ed: "Now is the responsible time for the United States to ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test Ban Treaty."
Rep. Jennifer Seelig, D-Salt Lake City
Rep. Ryan Wilcox, R-Ogden
- My view: Has Utah's new election law created...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Let us praise GDP
- In our opinion: The special session supports...
- My view: History of abolitionists teach us an...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Goodbye, Rickey Smith
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme Court...
- John Florez: A father's heartbreaking letter
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 79
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme... 49
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 43
- My view: Has Utah's new election law... 22
- Those intolerable TSA security lines 21
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges... 17
- My view: Biggest reason for physician... 17