Thank you, Deseret News, for your excellent editorial calling for the ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty ("Ratify test ban treaty," Sept. 30). During the 2010 legislative session, we sponsored a House Resolution urging Utah's senators to support the ratification of the CTBT.
Before the floor vote, our colleagues in the House offered impassioned speeches discussing the national security benefits of the CTBT, the continued safety and security of our nuclear weapons arsenal under the current scientific Stockpile Stewardship Program and the painful legacy left by the history of nuclear weapons testing in Nevada.
Following these favorable floor speeches from both Republicans and Democrats, the House voted unanimously to pass a resolution urging our senators to support the ratification of the CTBT. Once again, we would like to join our voices to that of the Deseret News in urging Sen. Orrin Hatch and Sen. Mike Lee to support the CTBT.
As former Sen. Jake Garn so powerfully wrote in his recent op-ed: "Now is the responsible time for the United States to ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test Ban Treaty."
Rep. Jennifer Seelig, D-Salt Lake City
Rep. Ryan Wilcox, R-Ogden
- President Boyd K. Packer — 'defender'...
- In our opinion: Declaration of Independence...
- My view: Everything you think you know about...
- Letter: Patriotism has not died
- In our opinion: Supreme Court ruling for...
- Letter: The Fourth
- My view: Move the prison for the sake of...
- Greg Bell: Smartphones, tablets, laptops are...
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 51
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies... 31
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 26
- Letter: Patriotism has not died 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21