Real Salt Lake: Kyle Beckerman suspended additional 2 games
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Kyle Beckerman's head butt against Chicago back on Sept. 28 continues to prove costly for Real Salt Lake.
The midfielder was suspended an extra two games by the MLS Disciplinary Committee Friday, which means he'll miss the final two games of the regular season.
The MLS Players Union appealed the suspension, but after hearing the appeal on Oct. 4 MLS commissioner Don Garber elected to uphold the Disciplinary Committee's decision.
Because Beckerman was away with the U.S. National Team in last night's 3-0 loss at Vancouver, that match doesn't count toward his suspension. Beckerman served the initial red card suspension during RSL's match at Los Angeles on Oct. 1. The additional two games of his suspension will be served on Oct. 14 at Colorado and Oct. 22 in the season finale at home against Portland.
Beckerman was also fined an additional $1,250 on top of the automatic $250 fine that accompanies a red card.
The incident occurred in the 11th minute of RSL's 3-0 loss to Chicago. After getting clipped from behind by Chicago's Daniel Paladini near midfield, Beckerman uncharacteristically head butted Paladini.
He apologized in a statement the following day.
"I'm very sorry to my teammates and fans across Major League Soccer for losing my composure in the game against the Fire, it was very uncharacteristic of me. While I take full responsibility for the red card, I look forward to moving on for both my club and my country," said Beckerman.
RSL has lost four straight, and it will try and regroup without Beckerman at rival Colorado.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 126
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 80
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 71
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 62
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 31