Real Salt Lake: Kyle Beckerman suspended additional 2 games
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Kyle Beckerman's head butt against Chicago back on Sept. 28 continues to prove costly for Real Salt Lake.
The midfielder was suspended an extra two games by the MLS Disciplinary Committee Friday, which means he'll miss the final two games of the regular season.
The MLS Players Union appealed the suspension, but after hearing the appeal on Oct. 4 MLS commissioner Don Garber elected to uphold the Disciplinary Committee's decision.
Because Beckerman was away with the U.S. National Team in last night's 3-0 loss at Vancouver, that match doesn't count toward his suspension. Beckerman served the initial red card suspension during RSL's match at Los Angeles on Oct. 1. The additional two games of his suspension will be served on Oct. 14 at Colorado and Oct. 22 in the season finale at home against Portland.
Beckerman was also fined an additional $1,250 on top of the automatic $250 fine that accompanies a red card.
The incident occurred in the 11th minute of RSL's 3-0 loss to Chicago. After getting clipped from behind by Chicago's Daniel Paladini near midfield, Beckerman uncharacteristically head butted Paladini.
He apologized in a statement the following day.
"I'm very sorry to my teammates and fans across Major League Soccer for losing my composure in the game against the Fire, it was very uncharacteristic of me. While I take full responsibility for the red card, I look forward to moving on for both my club and my country," said Beckerman.
RSL has lost four straight, and it will try and regroup without Beckerman at rival Colorado.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26