The Salt Lake Choral Artists have announced the schedule for their eighth concert season.
The hope is that the four separate concerts will emulate peace, harmony, faith and spirituality.
The Salt Lake Choral Artists, or SLCA, is a community choir that has previously performed with University of Utah Singers, the Salt Lake Symphony and Ballet West. According to its website, "the choir focuses on classical, contemporary and culturally diverse music."
Beginning this month, the five choirs that make up the SLCA will perform separate themed concerts, all under the direction of Dr. Brady Allred.
The first concert, "A Pledge for Peace," will feature Karl Jenkins' work "The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace." This Oct. 15 concert includes special guest mezzo-soprano Holly Sorenson.
In December, the SLCA will perform "Canticles and Carols: Music of the Angels," featuring soprano soloist Carol Ann Allred and the chamber orchestra.
In the third concert of its season, the SLCA will explore bluegrass-style American folk hymns, spirituals and music from Appalachia, accompanied by fiddles, banjos, guitars, mandolins and the string bass. "Cross the Wide Missouri: Music from the Appalachia" hopes to brighten spirits during the dead of winter by offering two concerts at the end of February.
The SLCA will end its season with "Fellowship in Spirit: Sacred Service," performing the concert for the first time in 35 years in Utah. Featuring Cantor Lawrence Loeb from Kol Ami Synagogues, it will be sung in Hebrew with orchestral accompaniment.
All events will be held at the Libby Gardner Concert Hall at the University of Utah campus, with the exception of one of the "Cross the Wide Missouri" concerts, which will be held at the Park City Community Church in Park City. The SLCA also has additional concerts during the holiday season and throughout 2012.
For more information about dates and times of the SLCA schedule, visit www.saltlakechoralartists.org/.
- Bill Cosby is ordered to stand trial in sex case
- Ex-owner: Jon Stewart's horse used for kids'...
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Chris Hicks: ‘Joy’ and a special...
- 'Floating down the Mississippi': 'Big River'...
- Book review: Weston's 'The Mirror Test'...
- Pianist Jason Lyle Black's debut 'Piano...
- BYU's theatrical production of 'Charlotte's...
- Mom's 'happy Chewbacca' video shatters... 6
- Bill Cosby is ordered to stand trial in... 3
- What's new: 'The Washington Hypothesis' 3
- Chris Hicks: ‘Joy’ and a... 1
- Book review: Weston's 'The Mirror Test'... 1
- Ex-owner: Jon Stewart's horse used for... 0
- Ballet West artists prepare original... 0
- 'Floating down the Mississippi': 'Big... 0