Packer shared of his life last weekend when he admitted to not having much of a testimony at 17, most of us grow into our core beliefs over time. And like Pres. Packer, the Lord is patient with us and eventually allows us to serve in His Kingdom. Though our careers required us to work on Sundays, many of us kept our covenants and did our best.
Am I a hypocrite for playing on Sundays in the NFL, yet didn't allow my children to play baseball or football in little league and Pop Warner because many of the tournaments and games were on Sunday? Or for advocating that the Pac-12 respect the dominant culture and religion in Utah because many of the athletes, even in a state school, are LDS? I don't think so, even if you do. Because it's not their careers.
Mid-Major Cougars of San Diego, CA: "Vai is just jealous of Utah being in the Pac-12. Vai is just jealous that Utah has left BYU way behind in football. How did you enjoy that 54-10 shellacking/debacle loss, Vai?"
Nope, not the least bit jealous. Actually, really, really excited for the U. It may sound arrogant, but after playing in the NFL, I'm not really awed by the Pac-12 or SEC or Big Ten or Big12, know what I mean? I think both BYU and Utah made the right decisions in going independent and entering the Pac-12. This might surprise you and annoy Cougar Nation, but I cheered heartily on the U's last TD that made it 54. Know why? My nephew VJ Fehoko scored it. His father, Vili, University of Hawaii's famous mascot, Vili The Warrior, is my close cousin. I stood with him when he blessed VJ as an infant and I've changed VJ's diaper. To see him running down the field with that fumble for 56 yards was a thing of beauty. I also cheered for another nephew, Star Lotulelei, when he jarred the ball loose from JJ DiLuigi inside the Utes' 10-yard line. Sorry Cougs.
Family comes first.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 89
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 74
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 38
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34