BYU football: Top 10 games against Big 12 opponents
With watercooler talk reaching epic levels regarding the Big 12 and whether or not BYU will join that league moving forward, we thought it would interesting to note some of the more memorable games BYU has played against Big 12 schools.
Due to Texas A&M joining the SEC, we scratched BYU's thrilling victory over it in 1996 along with the Cougars' shocking loss to the Aggies in their 1992 bowl game.
10. 1977: BYU 39, Kansas State 0
BYU got up early on the Wildcats and cruised to a big win, avenging its loss to Kansas State the year before. Gifford Nielsen led a Cougar offense that gained 492 yards that day.
9. 1983: Baylor 40, BYU 36
The Bears were able to score a touchdown with just minutes remaining in the game, sending the Cougars home with a loss. Quarterback Steve Young was able to account for 464 total yards and three touchdowns, but it wasn't enough.
8. 2011: Texas 17, BYU 16
BYU's most recent game against a Big 12 opponent was one of the more memorable. BYU looked to be in full control of the game, going into the halftime locker room up 13-3 before the Longhorns came storming back to win the game, 17-16.
7. 1992: Kansas 23, BYU 20
Matching up against the Jayhawks in the Aloha Bowl, Hema Heimuli got the Cougars off to a great start, returning the opening kickoff 94 yards for a touchdown. The Cougars took a 20-12 lead into the fourth quarter before giving up 11 straight points in what was a disappointing loss.
6. 1988: BYU 47, Texas 6
BYU got off to a very fast, exciting start with Sean Covey throwing an 80-yard touchdown pass to Bryce Doman early in the first quarter. BYU rolled to an unlikely blowout win against the Big 12 powerhouse, amassing more than 500 yards of total offense and picking off passes en route to victory.
5. 1994: BYU 31, Oklahoma 6
The Cougars jumped all over the Sooners in the Copper Bowl in a game that was never close. Quarterback Jon Walsh had a monster game, going 31-for-45 for 454 yards and four touchdowns.
4. 1987: BYU 22, Texas 17
BYU traveled to Austin, Texas, for the first time in its history and was able to go back to Provo with a win. Quarterback Bob Jensen helped the Cougars grind out a victory, which included eight Longhorn turnovers.
3. 1983: BYU 21, Missouri 17
In BYU's only matchup against Missouri to date, Steve Young led them team to a come-from-behind victory in the Holiday Bowl. Eddie Stinnett threw a pass back to Young for the game-winning score with only seconds remaining on the clock.
2. 1997: BYU 19, Kansas State 15
Capping off a very successful 1996 season, BYU faced off against Kansas State on New Year's day in the Cotton Bowl. BYU came back from a 15-5 deficit entering the fourth quarter with Steve Sarkisian hitting KO Kealaluhi in the end zone for the game-winning score.
1. 2009: BYU 14, Oklahoma 13
Oklahoma was ranked No. 3 nationally entering the game and was considered to be a frontrunner for the national championship. BYU dashed those hopes, however, limiting the Sooner offense to just 265 yards in its improbable victory.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28