House Rules Chairman Wayne Harper, R-West Jordan, said there were "issues with other elected officials outside the House and Senate weighing in," apparently a reference to sitting members of Congress as well as the governor.
Also, Harper said, coming to an agreement was made more difficult because several House members are eying a run for Congress, including Clark and Rep. Carl Wimmer, R-Herriman, who has already announced a bid for the new 4th District seat.
Wimmer said he's "just letting them do their job" and the final map "doesn't really matter. We will take what we get and we will run with it."
Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, said the pause in the process reflects well on House leadership, showing "that they were trying to allow their caucus members to express their views."
House Democrats support the decision to adjourn, to give the public an opportunity to see the proposals discussed in the closed GOP caucuses. The state Democratic Party has threatened a lawsuit over the congressional boundaries.
"This need to step back from our perspective has nothing to do with whether Republicans can come together on a map," House Minority Leader David Litvack, D-Salt Lake, said.
"To come out with something new at the last second, at the end of the evening was not the right way to do it," Litvack said. "That would put a pall over the entire redistricting process and the entire Legislature. We don't need that."
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: dnewspolitics
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Orem man accused of killing wife threatened...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 106
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 26
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19