Utah Utes football: Utes still not out of conference race
In the wake of losing starting quarterback Jordan Wynn to an injury to his non-throwing shoulder and tough losses to USC and Washington, Whittingham has reminded the Utes to keep their heads up and fight their way through adversity — to find out who they are and what they're made of.
The sky is not falling, he added, there's just very little margin for error in the Pac-12.
"It's not like year's past where you can get away with four or five turnovers and still come away with a victory," Whittingham said. "You cannot do that in this league."
Senior linebacker Chaz Walker, a team captain, acknowledged that the players know it'll take a top-notch effort each week to get thongs done. They realize that every game is a big game. None bigger, however, than the next one on the schedule.
"We look at standings every week, just once a week, to see where we're at. But we don't dwell on it too much," Walker said. "We just figure if we come out and do our job on Saturday then the rest will fall into place. So we've just got to go out on Saturday and come out with a win."
Utes on the air
Arizona State (4-1, 2-0) at Utah (2-2, 0-2)
Saturday, 1:30 p.m.
TV: ROOT Radio: 700 AMPac-12 South race
A look at remaining league games for eligible teams in the Pac-12 South. With USC on NCAA probation and ineligible to participate in postseason play, the highest finisher will represent the division in the inaugural conference championship game in December.
ARIZONA STATE (2-0)
Oct. 8 — at Utah
Oct. 15 — at Oregon
Oct. 29 — COLORADO
Nov. 5 — at UCLA
Nov. 12 — at Washington State
Nov. 19 — ARIZONA
Nov. 25 — CALIFORNIA
Oct. 8 — WASHINGTON STATE
Oct. 20 — at Arizona
Oct. 29 — CALIFORNIA
Nov. 5 — ARIZONA STATE
Nov. 12 — at Utah
Nov. 19 — COLORADO
Nov. 26 — at USC
Oct. 8 — at Stanford
Oct. 15 — at Washington
Oct. 22 — OREGON
Oct. 29 — at Arizona State
Nov. 4 — USC
Nov. 12 — ARIZONA
Nov. 19 — at UCLA
Nov. 25 — at Utah
Oct. 8 — ARIZONA STATE
Oct. 22 — at California
Oct. 29 — OREGON STATE
Nov. 5 — at Arizona
Nov. 12 — UCLA
Nov. 19 — at Washington State
Nov. 25 — COLORADO
Oct. 8 — at Oregon State
Oct. 20 — UCLA
Oct. 29 — at Washington
Nov. 5 — UTAH
Nov. 12 — at Colorado
Nov. 19 — at Arizona State
Combined records of a team's Pac-12 opponents, still to be faced this season by squads eligible to represent the South Division in the conference championship game.
Colorado 24-13 .648
UCLA 18-14 .562
Arizona State 15-16 .483
Arizona 13-15 .464
UTAH 14-18 .437
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Contract delay keeps Utah Jazz rookie Trey...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: The resurrection of...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Rodney Hood, Dante Exum highlight Utah Jazz...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 98
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 25
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24