Mendenhall said that while Nelson's knack for running is "kind of part of who he is," he added that Heaps has "great, great potential," and is "more of the prototypical BYU quarterback."
In the same breath, Mendenhall also pointed out the advantages of a running quarterback, evoking the name of one of the best of all-time — former Cougar, and NFL star, Steve Young.
"It just gives you a different element," Mendenhall said of a QB that can make plays with his feet. "It doesn't mean one is better or worse. They're just different styles."
Meanwhile, Doman is eager to see what his two quarterbacks can do. "I look forward to Saturday night," he said. "I'm going to wait and see how these kids act and perform and respond here the next couple of days (in practice), then, gosh, respond and go into this game with great confidence."
Cougars on the air
San Jose State (2-3) at BYU (3-2)
Saturday, 8:15 p.m. MT
LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43