Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Comcast launched an Internet service program Monday that will bring broadband access and laptop computers to low-income families in Utah.
Gov. Gary Herbert welcomed the announcement, saying it will open doors of opportunity for children and their families.
"Those who don't have access to that world are at a real and frowning disadvantage," Herbert said. "With Internet at home, children can research and complete their homework, adults can seek new or better jobs and families can explore the world together."
The program, called Internet Essentials, is available to families living in Comcast's service areas that are eligible to receive a free lunch under the National School Lunch Program. Families who qualify will receive Internet service for $9.95 a month plus taxes, and that rate will never increase. They will also receive a voucher to purchase a low-cost computer for $149.99 plus tax.
Rodrigo Lopez, regional vice president for the company, said "We're excited to bring broadband and computers to so many young people and families. … This program has the potential to help thousands of Utah families cross the digital divide."
Current participating districts include Salt Lake, Granite, Jordan, Canyons, Ogden, Logan and Weber. Additional districts are being approached to participate.
- Logan couple killed, baby survives in auto...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- BYU conference explores what's next for...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Car hydroplanes, pushes stranded vehicle on...
- Officer being called a hero for saving Salt...
- Firefighter puts injured dog on shoulders,...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 52
- BYU conference explores what's next for... 51
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 41
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 38
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 17
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12