Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Comcast launched an Internet service program Monday that will bring broadband access and laptop computers to low-income families in Utah.
Gov. Gary Herbert welcomed the announcement, saying it will open doors of opportunity for children and their families.
"Those who don't have access to that world are at a real and frowning disadvantage," Herbert said. "With Internet at home, children can research and complete their homework, adults can seek new or better jobs and families can explore the world together."
The program, called Internet Essentials, is available to families living in Comcast's service areas that are eligible to receive a free lunch under the National School Lunch Program. Families who qualify will receive Internet service for $9.95 a month plus taxes, and that rate will never increase. They will also receive a voucher to purchase a low-cost computer for $149.99 plus tax.
Rodrigo Lopez, regional vice president for the company, said "We're excited to bring broadband and computers to so many young people and families. … This program has the potential to help thousands of Utah families cross the digital divide."
Current participating districts include Salt Lake, Granite, Jordan, Canyons, Ogden, Logan and Weber. Additional districts are being approached to participate.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 47
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 36
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 32
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Tea party movement still strong,... 22
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14