All the candidates said they paid for their education through a mix of student loans, jobs and financial from their parents.
"I kept my clothes on," said Warren, a joking reference to Brown's decision while in law school to pose nude for Cosmopolitan magazine in a photo spread with a strategically placed crease in the magazine.
All the Democratic candidates also said they believe Congress needs to pass comprehensive immigration policy and would support offering in-state tuition rates to illegal immigrant students living in Massachusetts.
The Democratic candidates also said they support Obama's jobs bill, although several said the bill was not aggressive enough.
Asked what superhero they would want to be, Conroy said Captain America, DeFranco said one of the Wonder Twins, Khazei said the Flash, Robinson said the Incredible Hulk, Massie said Superman and Warren said Wonder Woman, citing her "cool outfit."
A recent UMass Lowell-Boston Herald poll showed Brown getting 41 percent of the vote and Warren receiving 38 percent, within the poll's margin of error.
Warren also was the strong favorite of the six Democratic candidates when pollsters surveyed potential Democratic primary voters. She garnered 36 percent of the vote while none of the other five got more than 5 percent.
The poll surveyed 1,005 registered voters in Massachusetts by landline and cellphone from Sept. 22-28. The margin of error was 3.8 percentage points, higher for smaller samples such as potential Democratic primary voters.
Brown has tried to cast himself as an independent voice beholden to neither major political party.
"I'm going to continue to do my job and work on the very important things that people care about and that's jobs, job creation," he told reporters Monday.
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Top 15 states for education
- Wearing this one thing can help boost a...
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 10
- Can Obama wage war without consent of... 5
- Rare snowstorm slams Rockies states,... 5