"It's a late game, I don't know how that will affect (attendance)," Mendenhall said. "But I think we're gaining momentum and we're playing better football each week, and I think our fans support us. They're seeing exciting games and, with the exception of one week, games that are going right down to the very end. If they're interested in that, it would be a good one to show up for, I think."
There have been some other scheduling quirks in this first season of independence. The Cougars opened the campaign with long, back-to-back road trips to Ole Miss and to Texas. Saturday's contest marks BYU's fourth consecutive home game — the first time that's happened in 20 years, when the Cougars hosted Air Force, Utah State, UTEP and Hawaii in 1991.
Living on the edge
Of BYU's five games this season, four have been decided by a touchdown or less:
BYU 14, Ole Miss 13
Texas 17, BYU 16
BYU 24, Central Florida 17
BYU 27, Utah State 24
Cougars on the air
San Jose State (2-3) at BYU (3-2)
Saturday, 8:15 p.m.
LaVell Edwards Stadium
TV: ESPNU Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher out BCS...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 97
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 27