SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said junior-college transfer Jon Hayes "almost certainly" will start at quarterback Saturday against Arizona State.
Whittingham made the announcement at his Monday news conference. He had no further information about the long-term availability of Jordan Wynn as the junior was still undergoing tests Monday on his left non-throwing shoulder.
Hays played the second half of Saturday's 31-14 loss to Washington, completing 10 of 16 passes for 156 yards. He had an interception and a last-minute touchdown.
The Utes (2-2, 0-2) had hoped to contend for the Pac-12 South title but are winless in conference play and now face a Sun Devil team that has climbed to No. 22 in the rankings thanks to a 4-1 start.
Whittingham was hopeful top offensive lineman Tony Bergstrom would play.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 51
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 48
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45