Start to finish: 25 minutes
5 packets natural Stevia sweetener (powder)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon red food coloring
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons prepared vanilla sugar-free, fat-free pudding (such as Jell-O)
2 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese, softened
Heat the oven to 350 F. Line 4 large (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups with paper liners. Lightly coat the liners with cooking spray.
Separate the egg yolks and whites, discarding 1 of the yolks. Place the remaining egg yolk in a medium bowl. Place the 2 egg whites in another medium bowl.
To the whites, add 2 packets of the Stevia, 1 teaspoon of the vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon of the food coloring. Mix and set aside.
Add the remaining 3 packets Stevia, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon food coloring to the egg yolk. Whisk the yolk mixture for 3 minutes. Add buttermilk and agave. Whisk until combined.
In a small bowl whisk together flour, flaxseed meal, cocoa powder and salt. Add to yolk-buttermilk mixture and beat on low just until combined.
Using an electric mixer, beat the egg white mixture on medium to high until stiff peaks form. Working in 3 batches, fold the egg whites into the buttermilk mixture, being careful not to deflate the whites.
Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin cups. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and cool.
Meanwhile, to prepare the frosting in a small bowl combine the pudding and cream cheese. Mix until smooth. Spread or pipe evenly over each cupcake.
Nutrition information per serving (values are rounded to the nearest whole number): 98 calories; 3 g fat (24 percent of total calories, 1 g saturated); 54 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrate; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 187 mg sodium.
EDITOR'S NOTE: Rocco DiSpirito is author of the "Now Eat This!" and "Now Eat This! Diet" cookbooks.
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The Interview'...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic...
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down under...
- Republican wins Arizona seat after recount;...
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer health...
- Camille Cosby defends husband as 'kind,...
- Final goodbye: A roll call of some who died...
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school leaves 141...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 32
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 29
- Police: 3 dead, including gunman, in... 18
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 10
- Senate averts shutdown fears; Democrats... 9
- So wait? Pets don't go to heaven? 8
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 7