About Utah: USU videographer filmed video of heroic rescue, but relatively unknown
An ambulance transported Brandon to the hospital, where his injuries were identified as serious and numerous, but treatable. As soon as he could, he publicly thanked the heroes who came to his aid.
Collectively, but not individually.
Because no one had compiled the full list. Or even tried to. At least not until now.
In doing research for this column, I was able to find the names of 13 individuals listed in one media report or another as rescuers. It isn't a definitive list, but it's getting closer. It includes six Utah State students, five construction workers and two townspeople.
The Utah State students: Kelsey Alder, Catherine Grigg, Abbass Al-Sarif, James Odei, Anvar Suyundikov, Austin Knutson.
The construction workers: Mike Johnson, Lee Christensen, Albin Mocevic, Kade Lundgren, Derrick Harper.
The townspeople: Matt Barney, Tom Timken.
It is a diverse group. There are two females and eleven males. They range in age from 18 (Kelsey) to 62 (Timken). At least three are from foreign countries (Al-Sharif is from Lebanon, Odei is from Ghana, and Surundikov is from Uzbekistan). For the most part, they had no idea who the person was lifting next to them. A glazier beside a coed beside a merchant beside a grad student.
And no one did it for the publicity.
"We like to think it reflects who we are and what we stand for at this school and in this community," said USU President Stan Albrecht.
Garff, the videographer, seconded that. "There's a different atmosphere here," he said. "I don't know what it is exactly, but I know I just shot it."
To view the video, click here.
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Monday and Friday. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 11
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 11