About Utah: USU videographer filmed video of heroic rescue, but relatively unknown
An ambulance transported Brandon to the hospital, where his injuries were identified as serious and numerous, but treatable. As soon as he could, he publicly thanked the heroes who came to his aid.
Collectively, but not individually.
Because no one had compiled the full list. Or even tried to. At least not until now.
In doing research for this column, I was able to find the names of 13 individuals listed in one media report or another as rescuers. It isn't a definitive list, but it's getting closer. It includes six Utah State students, five construction workers and two townspeople.
The Utah State students: Kelsey Alder, Catherine Grigg, Abbass Al-Sarif, James Odei, Anvar Suyundikov, Austin Knutson.
The construction workers: Mike Johnson, Lee Christensen, Albin Mocevic, Kade Lundgren, Derrick Harper.
The townspeople: Matt Barney, Tom Timken.
It is a diverse group. There are two females and eleven males. They range in age from 18 (Kelsey) to 62 (Timken). At least three are from foreign countries (Al-Sharif is from Lebanon, Odei is from Ghana, and Surundikov is from Uzbekistan). For the most part, they had no idea who the person was lifting next to them. A glazier beside a coed beside a merchant beside a grad student.
And no one did it for the publicity.
"We like to think it reflects who we are and what we stand for at this school and in this community," said USU President Stan Albrecht.
Garff, the videographer, seconded that. "There's a different atmosphere here," he said. "I don't know what it is exactly, but I know I just shot it."
To view the video, click here.
Lee Benson's About Utah column runs Monday and Friday. Email: email@example.com
- Former Gov. Norm Bangerter remembered as man...
- Pornography conference probes perils, solutions
- Cheerleading coach who worked as youth...
- Orem pediatrician 'happy' to help...
- Redefining college: How associate degrees...
- Job A Day program gives homeless people...
- Osmond to run 250 miles to help kids get...
- Mystery man who rescued driver from cliff in...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Poll: Strong approval ratings for Gov.... 27
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- BYU ranked 'best value college' in Utah 26
- Herbert to meet with Obama... 23
- April snow shocks Utahns but does... 20
- Wild, windy, wet weather wallops... 17
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz: Drug Enforcement... 15