President Monson said it is necessary that Church members communicate with their Heavenly Father through prayer. "He wants us to do so. He will answer our prayers."
President Monson said he gained a testimony of the power of prayer when he was 12 years old. He had worked hard and managed to save $5. He gave the coins to his father in exchange for a new $5 bill. He tucked the bill into the pocket of his jeans, which were sent to the laundry with the money still in the pocket. "The chances of getting my $5 back were extremely remote — a fact which my dear mother confirmed when I told her I had left the money in my pocket.
"I wanted that money; I needed that money; I had worked very hard to earn that money. I realized there was only one thing I could do. In my extremity I turned to my Father in Heaven and pleaded with Him to keep my money safe in that pocket somehow until our wet wash came back."
Two very long days later, when the pants came back, he reached into the packet and found the money was still there.
"I offered a heartfelt prayer of gratitude to my Father in Heaven, for I knew that He had answered my prayer. Since that time I have had countless prayers answered. Not a day has gone by that I have not communicated with my Father in Heaven through prayer. It is a relationship I cherish — one I would literally by lost without. If you do not now have such a relationship with your Father in Heaven, I urge you to work toward that goal. As you do so, you will be entitled to His inspiration and guidance in your life — necessities for each of us if we are to survive spiritually during our sojourn here on earth. Such inspiration and guidance are gifts. He freely gives if we but seek them. What treasures they are."
President Monson said he is always humbled and grateful when his Heavenly Father communicates with him through inspiration. "I have learned to recognize it, to trust it, and to follow it," he said. "Time and time again I have been the recipient of such inspiration."
As the winds of change swirl around Church members and as the moral fiber of society continues to disintegrate, President Monson asked of them, "May we remember the Lord's precious promises to those who trust in Him: 'Fear thou not; for I am with thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.'"
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Women called heroes for reviving high school...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support medical...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 49
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 48
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 23