Winter annuals germinate in the fall and the next spring they flower, produce seed and die before the summer heat. Examples are downy brome, chickweed, some mustards and wild oats.
Biennials have two year cycles. They grow vegetatively (without flowering) the first year. The next season they flower, produce seed and die. Thistles, mullein and hound tongue are biennials.
Perennials live three years or more. They flower and set seed without dying. Usually the tops die back in the winter but resume growth in the spring. Examples are quack grass, field bindweed, dandelion and plantain.
Knowing about weeds helps you control them. Next week's column will focus on specific weeds and how to best control them.
Apples Galore is a free apple and cheese tasting event for gardeners. Come satisfy taste buds and sample Utah's finest artisan cheeses and locally grown apples — the perfect combination for a perfect end to the season. Oct. 13, noon-2 p.m. at the Ogden Botanical Gardens, 1750 Monroe Blvd., Ogden, and that evening from 5 p.m.-7 p.m. at the Utah Botanical Center at 920 S. 50 West, Kaysville. See utahbotanicalcenter.org.
Thanksgiving Point is offering a class on fabulous fall color on Tuesdays, Oct. 11-25, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Cost is $40. To register, or for more information, call 801-768-7443 or visit www.thanksgivingpoint.com.
Larry A. Sagers is a horticulture specialist for the Utah State University Extension Service at Thanksgiving Point.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,...
- How new research on chemicals in household...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Kids are still reading 'Calvin and Hobbes'
- Doug Robinson: Reuniting families — One...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 42
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 13
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Our love-hate... 11
- The rough road of single motherhood... 11
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation... 8
- Dad tires of hearing hit 'Frozen' song,... 7