BYU football notebook: Cougars' last, decisive drive a classic
"Those kinds of things in college football say a lot about a way a team is coached and what values are being instilled," Mendenhall said. "I was very impressed by that, especially in the way the game finished."
Mendenhall added that he has "a lot of respect" for USU coach Gary Andersen and his team.
"They're one or two plays or one or two players away from beating Auburn, Colorado State and BYU," he said. "They're being coached at a really high level."
"I wish them the best," said Nelson, who played for the Aggies as a freshman before transferring to BYU. "I hope they compete for the WAC championship. I think they have the talent to. I believe in Coach Andersen and the players that they have. (Quarterback) Chuckie Keeton's an incredible athlete for a little freshman out there, running around making plays. Robert Turbin is an elite college football player."
ANOTHER 'DOGFIGHT': So far this season, BYU has staged second-half comebacks in all three of its victories.
The Cougars rallied from a 13-point deficit in the fourth quarter in the season-opener at Ole Miss. Last week, BYU was down 17-10 in the third quarter before winning, 24-17.
On Friday, the Cougars overcame a 11-point deficit in the fourth quarter against USU.
"I get asked about the games a lot and every time I say, 'It's a dogfight,'" Nelson said. "That's just who we are and the way our schedule is set up, every game is going to be decided by a touchdown or less. We're ready for it for the rest of the season and I hope Cougar fans are too, because this is how it's going to be. Obviously, in games like that that are close, emotions run high. The highs are really high and the lows are really low. So it's going to be a fun season."
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15