LDS Ute fans can attend both game, conference
Institute will tape-delay broadcast of priesthood meeting
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY— Faithful Latter-day Saint football fans at the University of Utah will have one less choice to make in "choosing the right" Saturday night.
The Young Single Adult Stake that is housed in the same building as the LDS Institute of Religion at the U. has decided to tape-delay its scheduled broadcast of the priesthood session of LDS general conference Saturday evening. Instead of showing the priesthood meeting live at 6 p.m. MDT— about an hour into the Utah-Washington football game, which is scheduled to kick off at 5 p.m. at Rice-Eccles Stadium just a few blocks west of the Institute building — the stake will show the priesthood session at 9 p.m., after the game is over.
In doing so, the stake is not saying that football is more important than priesthood meeting, said Institute director Grant Anderson, who was not involved in the stake's decision to delay the broadcast. Parking issues would be significant if the two events were held simultaneously. In addition, he said there are a number of stake members who will be involved in the football game in one way or another and would be unable to attend the broadcast if it was held at the same time as the game.
The time of the game was set by the PAC-12, the athletic conference to which Utah belongs.
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Judge orders girl to stand trial for...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 72
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24