LDS Ute fans can attend both game, conference
Institute will tape-delay broadcast of priesthood meeting
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY— Faithful Latter-day Saint football fans at the University of Utah will have one less choice to make in "choosing the right" Saturday night.
The Young Single Adult Stake that is housed in the same building as the LDS Institute of Religion at the U. has decided to tape-delay its scheduled broadcast of the priesthood session of LDS general conference Saturday evening. Instead of showing the priesthood meeting live at 6 p.m. MDT— about an hour into the Utah-Washington football game, which is scheduled to kick off at 5 p.m. at Rice-Eccles Stadium just a few blocks west of the Institute building — the stake will show the priesthood session at 9 p.m., after the game is over.
In doing so, the stake is not saying that football is more important than priesthood meeting, said Institute director Grant Anderson, who was not involved in the stake's decision to delay the broadcast. Parking issues would be significant if the two events were held simultaneously. In addition, he said there are a number of stake members who will be involved in the football game in one way or another and would be unable to attend the broadcast if it was held at the same time as the game.
The time of the game was set by the PAC-12, the athletic conference to which Utah belongs.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 54
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 12