Perhaps by sheer luck, I am not the descendant of downwinders in Utah. But I am native to the state of Utah, and I am very concerned about the idea of renewed nuclear testing. I urge Utahns to join former Sen. Jake Garn in encouraging the Utah delegation to support ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, or CTBT.
Safe nuclear weapons testing cannot be guaranteed, even in "remote" places on public lands. Even underground. The potential domestic dangers to which Garn alludes far outweigh fear-and-deterrence driven arguments for future testing. By rejecting ratification we are further conceding our already deeply compromised prestige in the global community.
I am not the descendant of downwinders. Next time I might not be so lucky.
Salt Lake City
- NYT Opinion: Embracing evangelical...
- Jay Evensen: Why the pioneers give us hope today
- George F. Will: GOP minds are at sea —...
- Dan Liljenquist: My theory regarding Melania...
- My view: Racism, gun violence and the heavy...
- In our opinion: An unsatisfying resolution to...
- Letter: Lead on Social Security
- Letter: Delegates are dividing
- Dan Liljenquist: My theory regarding... 40
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 31
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- Letter: Delegates are dividing 23
- Letter: Let feds take over 23
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- Letter: Lead on Social Security 20
- My view: Racism, gun violence and the... 18