Perhaps by sheer luck, I am not the descendant of downwinders in Utah. But I am native to the state of Utah, and I am very concerned about the idea of renewed nuclear testing. I urge Utahns to join former Sen. Jake Garn in encouraging the Utah delegation to support ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, or CTBT.
Safe nuclear weapons testing cannot be guaranteed, even in "remote" places on public lands. Even underground. The potential domestic dangers to which Garn alludes far outweigh fear-and-deterrence driven arguments for future testing. By rejecting ratification we are further conceding our already deeply compromised prestige in the global community.
I am not the descendant of downwinders. Next time I might not be so lucky.
Salt Lake City
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Dan Liljenquist: Detroit is sending a message...
- George F. Will: President Obama's epiphanies...
- Jay Evensen: Utah inversions — 100...
- In our opinion: Refinery should be allowed to...
- In our opinion: Don't delay saving for...
- Letter: Where's Al Gore?
- Letter: American billionaires
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 63
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 44
- Letter: American billionaires 38
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a... 34
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 33
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- President should not act without... 28