Perhaps by sheer luck, I am not the descendant of downwinders in Utah. But I am native to the state of Utah, and I am very concerned about the idea of renewed nuclear testing. I urge Utahns to join former Sen. Jake Garn in encouraging the Utah delegation to support ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, or CTBT.
Safe nuclear weapons testing cannot be guaranteed, even in "remote" places on public lands. Even underground. The potential domestic dangers to which Garn alludes far outweigh fear-and-deterrence driven arguments for future testing. By rejecting ratification we are further conceding our already deeply compromised prestige in the global community.
I am not the descendant of downwinders. Next time I might not be so lucky.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- Drew Clark: Can the Supreme Court find...
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified rhetoric
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: We can't help...
- Letter: We can do better
- Peter Corroon: Generalizations about liberals...
- In our opinion: Navajo Nation looks to combat...
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling amid...
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 60
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 59
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 36
- A. Scott Anderson: Overregulation hurts... 26
- Letter: We can do better 26
- Letter: Pledge for respect 24
- In our opinion: Recent drowning of 800... 22
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on... 20