LAS VEGAS — The wife of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is receiving chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer in Washington, D.C.
The senator's office confirmed Friday that 71-year-old Landra Reid was recently diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and is expected to survive because the cancer was detected early.
Reid's office says the Nevada Democrat is standing by his wife's side as she receives treatment, but that the diagnosis won't affect his work.
The diagnosis comes more than a year after she was in a violent car crash in Virginia that left her with a broken back, neck and nose. Doctors initially feared she would be paralyzed, but she eventually recovered.
Landra and Harry Reid met in high school and have been married since 1959. They have a daughter and four sons.
- Taiwan plane crash survivor crawls out of...
- What happened on the ground the day Flight 17...
- Federal land managers criticized over...
- After government topples crosses in China,...
- Feds cap fines for not buying health...
- Cellphone unlocking set to become legal again
- Disney moves toward $10 hourly starting pay...
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce efforts stall
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 49
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 25
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza... 25
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 20
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 20
- Federal land managers criticized over... 18