LAS VEGAS — The wife of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is receiving chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer in Washington, D.C.
The senator's office confirmed Friday that 71-year-old Landra Reid was recently diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and is expected to survive because the cancer was detected early.
Reid's office says the Nevada Democrat is standing by his wife's side as she receives treatment, but that the diagnosis won't affect his work.
The diagnosis comes more than a year after she was in a violent car crash in Virginia that left her with a broken back, neck and nose. Doctors initially feared she would be paralyzed, but she eventually recovered.
Landra and Harry Reid met in high school and have been married since 1959. They have a daughter and four sons.
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Catholic leaders' deliberations over divorce...
- Here's why church choirs are dying
- FedEx to add 50,000 seasonal jobs
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 9
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 6