LAS VEGAS — The wife of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is receiving chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer in Washington, D.C.
The senator's office confirmed Friday that 71-year-old Landra Reid was recently diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and is expected to survive because the cancer was detected early.
Reid's office says the Nevada Democrat is standing by his wife's side as she receives treatment, but that the diagnosis won't affect his work.
The diagnosis comes more than a year after she was in a violent car crash in Virginia that left her with a broken back, neck and nose. Doctors initially feared she would be paralyzed, but she eventually recovered.
Landra and Harry Reid met in high school and have been married since 1959. They have a daughter and four sons.
- Heroes 2014: Ex-CIA officer uses...
- What the Senate’s tax break extensions...
- Bad Santa? 5 tips to tackle your holiday gift...
- New Russian military doctrine says NATO top...
- Officials suggest possibility of reforming...
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- Life support ends for dead Irishwoman, live...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 16
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 14
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 12
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5
- Judge seems skeptical of challenge to... 4
- Bergdahl investigation report goes to... 4