LAS VEGAS — The wife of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is receiving chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer in Washington, D.C.
The senator's office confirmed Friday that 71-year-old Landra Reid was recently diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and is expected to survive because the cancer was detected early.
Reid's office says the Nevada Democrat is standing by his wife's side as she receives treatment, but that the diagnosis won't affect his work.
The diagnosis comes more than a year after she was in a violent car crash in Virginia that left her with a broken back, neck and nose. Doctors initially feared she would be paralyzed, but she eventually recovered.
Landra and Harry Reid met in high school and have been married since 1959. They have a daughter and four sons.
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- 32 teens escape from Nashville detention center
- Video purports to show second beheading of US...
- AP Analysis: Putin digs in for long Ukraine...
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 92
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants... 23
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 17
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 12
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- US judge blocks enforcement of new... 10
- Mexico authorities stage midnight... 7