LAS VEGAS — The wife of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is receiving chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer in Washington, D.C.
The senator's office confirmed Friday that 71-year-old Landra Reid was recently diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and is expected to survive because the cancer was detected early.
Reid's office says the Nevada Democrat is standing by his wife's side as she receives treatment, but that the diagnosis won't affect his work.
The diagnosis comes more than a year after she was in a violent car crash in Virginia that left her with a broken back, neck and nose. Doctors initially feared she would be paralyzed, but she eventually recovered.
Landra and Harry Reid met in high school and have been married since 1959. They have a daughter and four sons.
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Police: Student ate more pot than recommended...
- How does the world feel about morals and...
- Dirty creek, old purse solve four-decade...
- Get married, stay married? No fault divorce...
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 30
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 24
- Bureau of Land Management to pursue... 22
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Police: Student ate more pot than... 18