Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
As a child I often sat on my father's lap during general conference. I don't remember the messages given but I do remember the spirit I felt. I have been watching general conference for more than 60 years. The spirit I feel from the stirring messages whispers familiarity to me, registering gospel truths.
For October conference in 2010, my husband and I watched conference with our daughter Dawn and her family in Kaysville. Our five young grandchildren were sprawled on the floor watching and listening to the inspirational talks. They anticipated the prophet's appearance.
As President Thomas S. Monson approached the podium, there was a disturbance from a younger child drowning out the prophet's voice. Almost in unison 10-year-old Kaysha, 7-year-old Brenner, and 5-year-old Eva suddenly blurted, "Pause the prophet! Pause the prophet!" Their dad, Jeremy, immediately pressed pause on the remote. I looked at the screen. There was our prophet waiting for us perfectly and patiently in complete silence and stillness until we were ready.
We became settled, unpaused the prophet then listened to his inspired message on gratitude which touched my heart and gave me renewed determination to feel thankful for my blessings. I vowed in a literal sense that I would never pause or put on hold the teachings of Jesus Christ validated through his prophets.
Jelean Vaughn Reynolds is from the Soundview Ward in the Tacoma Washington Stake.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- 14 surprising, heartwarming videos of LDS...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Passing the torch
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS...
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in Salt...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- Religious groups react to Boy... 70
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 42
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 30
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 26
- ... 10
- DJ Kaskade talks about sticking to LDS... 3