Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
As a child I often sat on my father's lap during general conference. I don't remember the messages given but I do remember the spirit I felt. I have been watching general conference for more than 60 years. The spirit I feel from the stirring messages whispers familiarity to me, registering gospel truths.
For October conference in 2010, my husband and I watched conference with our daughter Dawn and her family in Kaysville. Our five young grandchildren were sprawled on the floor watching and listening to the inspirational talks. They anticipated the prophet's appearance.
As President Thomas S. Monson approached the podium, there was a disturbance from a younger child drowning out the prophet's voice. Almost in unison 10-year-old Kaysha, 7-year-old Brenner, and 5-year-old Eva suddenly blurted, "Pause the prophet! Pause the prophet!" Their dad, Jeremy, immediately pressed pause on the remote. I looked at the screen. There was our prophet waiting for us perfectly and patiently in complete silence and stillness until we were ready.
We became settled, unpaused the prophet then listened to his inspired message on gratitude which touched my heart and gave me renewed determination to feel thankful for my blessings. I vowed in a literal sense that I would never pause or put on hold the teachings of Jesus Christ validated through his prophets.
Jelean Vaughn Reynolds is from the Soundview Ward in the Tacoma Washington Stake.
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon...
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville killed...
- Sister Linda K. Burton writes about emotional...
- Praying together to stay together? The role...
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S.
- Understanding DNA testing in family history
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces virtual...
- David Archuleta says ‘most fulfilling...
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon... 68
- Darwin Day notwithstanding, evolution... 21
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville... 14
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces 7... 8
- Bernie Sanders supported religious... 8
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S. 8
- Evangelical leaders denounce Selective... 6
- ... 4