Navarro wins Gold Glove Award
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake Bees first baseman Efren Navarro has been chosen as a recipient of a Rawlings Gold Glove Award for defensive excellence at his position during the 2011 season.
Navarro, 25, appeared in 133 games for the Bees in 2011, his first season at the Triple-A level. Setting Salt Lake defensive records for a first baseman, the lefty finished the season first all-time in total chances (1,357), putouts (1,285), double plays (140) and fielding percentage (.998). He registered just three errors in 1,357 total chances. Navarro led all Pacific Coast League first basemen in fielding percentage this past season, while leading Salt Lake to a league-best .983 fielding percentage.
Weber State, Oregon State to play in 2015
OGDEN — Weber State and Oregon State announced the two schools have scheduled a football game for the 2015 season.
The Wildcats and Beavers will meet for the season opener set for Sept. 5, 2015 at Reser Stadium in Corvallis, Oregon.
The two schools were originally looking to play in 2012 but the game was moved back to 2015 after Weber State and BYU scheduled a game in the 2012 season.
Coach James now Blaze president
SALT LAKE CITY — After guiding the Utah Blaze to a 9-9 record, head coach Ron James will now serve as the team's president.
James enters his fourth season with the Blaze and his third season as head coach. As president, he will bring nearly 12 years of AFL expertise as he oversees all operational departments in addition to his coaching duties.
"We were extremely pleased with James and his ability to turnaround our franchise last season," said Blaze owners, Logan Hunter and Kristin Murdock. "James has a wealth of experience on and off the field and we are looking forward to building upon our accomplishments next season."
Weber State golf coach steps down
OGDEN — Weber State University men's golf head coach Dave Kearl has announced he will step down as head coach of the Wildcats effective Jan. 1, 2012 to pursue other opportunities.
Kearl has been the head coach of the Wildcats since 2000.
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- ESPN trivia guru: University of Utah graduate...
- Hard work, dedication pay off for Utah's Karl...
- High school softball: Copper Hills earns a...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino leaves BYU...
- LIVE TODAY: Deseret News live streaming...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 55
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 27
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 16
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10