Sen. Jake Garn's article on the need to ratify the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (Sept. 26) is a much-needed wake-up call. The presence of thousands of nuclear weapons, each of which could destroy a city like Provo, is like a leaking dam above us. We tend to forget about the danger until the dam breaks, and there is nothing more urgent than preventing the outbreak of nuclear war.
We need to drain the reservoir of nuclear weapons, and a critical first step is to reduce the incentive to build more bombs by ratifying the test ban treaty.
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- Scandals hiding in plain sight
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs America to...
- Charles Krauthammer: The role of a great...
- Michael Gerson: No time to lead from behind
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 81
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 61
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 56
- Letter: Utah's birthright 49
- Letter: Irreparable damage 48
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37