Utah Utes football notebook: John White IV just wants to win, regardless of statistics
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah running back John White IV doesn't like to talk about himself.
He did, however, acknowledge it was kind of nice to be the Pac-12's leading rusher after three games.
"It was cool," White said with a laugh. "I mean, fine."
The junior college transfer, who averages 126.7 yards per game, dropped to No. 2 in the conference after Oregon's LaMichael James ran for 288 yards in last week's 56-31 win at Arizona. The Heisman Trophy candidate now averages 153.2 yards per game.
"I'm not worried about that. I've never really cared about stats or anything like that," White said. "I just go out and play and just want to win."
U-DUB'S DEFENSE: Washington's defense hasn't exactly shut people down through the first four games of the season. The Huskies enter Saturday's game ranked last in the Pac-12 in passing defense (327.5 ypg) and 11th in total defense (453.2 ypg) and scoring defense (33.2 ppg).
Even so, the Utes are convinced these dogs can bite.
"They're a good group of guys, an athletic bunch. They get after it and they make plays when it's time to make plays," said Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn. "A lot of times in the fourth quarter they come up big with a turnover or stop or something, so we're going to have to come out and play well."
BIG-PLAY DUO: Utah's DeVonte Christopher and Dres Anderson have combined for 263 receiving yards this season. Christopher has a team-high 16 receptions, while Anderson has nine and the squad's top average with 17.6 yards per catch.
"So far this season they've been productive and they've made big plays for us," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham.
LOOKING GOOD: Whittingham said a good bye week put the Utes ahead as far as preparation for Washington is concerned. Effective practices, including physical sessions Monday and Tuesday, followed this week.
"So far, the attitude and the concentration has been excellent," Whittingham noted.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- Contract delay keeps Utah Jazz rookie Trey...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: The resurrection of...
- Rodney Hood, Dante Exum highlight Utah Jazz...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Jazz notebook: Olivier Hanlan participates...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 93
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 25
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 23