Utah Utes football notebook: John White IV just wants to win, regardless of statistics
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah running back John White IV doesn't like to talk about himself.
He did, however, acknowledge it was kind of nice to be the Pac-12's leading rusher after three games.
"It was cool," White said with a laugh. "I mean, fine."
The junior college transfer, who averages 126.7 yards per game, dropped to No. 2 in the conference after Oregon's LaMichael James ran for 288 yards in last week's 56-31 win at Arizona. The Heisman Trophy candidate now averages 153.2 yards per game.
"I'm not worried about that. I've never really cared about stats or anything like that," White said. "I just go out and play and just want to win."
U-DUB'S DEFENSE: Washington's defense hasn't exactly shut people down through the first four games of the season. The Huskies enter Saturday's game ranked last in the Pac-12 in passing defense (327.5 ypg) and 11th in total defense (453.2 ypg) and scoring defense (33.2 ppg).
Even so, the Utes are convinced these dogs can bite.
"They're a good group of guys, an athletic bunch. They get after it and they make plays when it's time to make plays," said Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn. "A lot of times in the fourth quarter they come up big with a turnover or stop or something, so we're going to have to come out and play well."
BIG-PLAY DUO: Utah's DeVonte Christopher and Dres Anderson have combined for 263 receiving yards this season. Christopher has a team-high 16 receptions, while Anderson has nine and the squad's top average with 17.6 yards per catch.
"So far this season they've been productive and they've made big plays for us," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham.
LOOKING GOOD: Whittingham said a good bye week put the Utes ahead as far as preparation for Washington is concerned. Effective practices, including physical sessions Monday and Tuesday, followed this week.
"So far, the attitude and the concentration has been excellent," Whittingham noted.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 28
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 17