In June, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints launched its "I'm a Mormon" campaign in New York City, just a few days after the enormous success of "The Book of Mormon" musical at the 2011 Tony Awards and about the time media attention was focusing on not one but two LDS candidates for the Republican presidential nomination, Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman Jr.
The campaign features huge billboards and other prominently placed posters and placards intended to drive people to the church's Mormon.org web site, where they will be introduced to the individual stories of ordinary Latter-day Saints from every walk of life. The idea was test-marketed in nine U.S. cities in 2010, and was targeted for opening in New York City "because of conversations about the church happening there," according to church spokesman Scott Trotter.
"I'm a Mormon" consequently — and unintentionally — became part of the "Mormon Moment," adding to the suddenly intensified flow of news and information about the LDS Church and its members.
Soon after the New York City campaign was launched, Trotter said "we've noticed a significant increase in visitors to mormon.org. Most of the recent traffic to the site is coming from mobile devices. This change suggests people 'on the go' are visiting the site after encountering the ads."
At the time the New York City campaign was launched, church officials indicated it would extend to additional cities later in the year. It is now "later in the year." Beginning the first week of October, the "I'm a Mormon" campaign will be appearing in the following markets:
San Antonio, Texas
Fort Wayne, Ind.
South Bend, Ind.
For more information on the Im a Mormon campaign please click here.
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is special for...
- 'Turbulent and incredibly productive': New...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- BYUtv docudrama 'Joan of Arc' shares...
- LDS World: How events in Paris are a reminder...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 95
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 24
- Renovated LDS temple represents... 11
- LDS World: How events in Paris are a... 8
- U.S. Catholic leaders approve new plan... 6
- A 4-part definition for evangelical... 6
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 5
- 4 effective ways to teach your kids... 4