In June, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints launched its "I'm a Mormon" campaign in New York City, just a few days after the enormous success of "The Book of Mormon" musical at the 2011 Tony Awards and about the time media attention was focusing on not one but two LDS candidates for the Republican presidential nomination, Mitt Romney and Jon Huntsman Jr.
The campaign features huge billboards and other prominently placed posters and placards intended to drive people to the church's Mormon.org web site, where they will be introduced to the individual stories of ordinary Latter-day Saints from every walk of life. The idea was test-marketed in nine U.S. cities in 2010, and was targeted for opening in New York City "because of conversations about the church happening there," according to church spokesman Scott Trotter.
"I'm a Mormon" consequently — and unintentionally — became part of the "Mormon Moment," adding to the suddenly intensified flow of news and information about the LDS Church and its members.
Soon after the New York City campaign was launched, Trotter said "we've noticed a significant increase in visitors to mormon.org. Most of the recent traffic to the site is coming from mobile devices. This change suggests people 'on the go' are visiting the site after encountering the ads."
At the time the New York City campaign was launched, church officials indicated it would extend to additional cities later in the year. It is now "later in the year." Beginning the first week of October, the "I'm a Mormon" campaign will be appearing in the following markets:
San Antonio, Texas
Fort Wayne, Ind.
South Bend, Ind.
For more information on the Im a Mormon campaign please click here.
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Russians' views on religion are changing, and...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 144
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 48
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 31
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 30
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 23
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon... 17
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 12
- Russians' views on religion are... 7