Mike Anderson, Mike Anderson, Deseret News
LOGAN — Known to locals as the "golden toaster" because of its shape and color, the old church at 650 N. 1200 East may be demolished to make way for a new building at Utah State University.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints verbally agreed to give the land to Utah State University in exchange for some land at an old, mostly-vacant trailer park on the outer edge of campus.
"The university owns the surrounding property," said David Cowley, USU vice president over business and finance. "It's also an excellent location, as it looks out to the south, across the valley."
Cowley said USU has had an eye on the property for several years now. "It's at one of the important entrances to campus as well," he said.
Administrators at USU would like to put some sort of a building there. They say it would be great for classrooms. But so far, none of those possibilities include keeping the "golden toaster."
There are no solid plans right now, no set demolition date.
But for some, this building's unique architecture makes it not only hard to miss on the road, but tough to say goodbye to.
"It is kind of a landmark building, and people kind of recognize it," said Megan Allen.
"Me and my mom were talking about it just last week actually, just how sad we were that it was going to be torn down because it's so iconic," Lauren Taylor said.
The church is a longtime local landmark, even if its fame didn't necessarily come from its good looks.
"There may be a lot of ugly things in the world," Taylor said while laughing, "but it will still be sad to see it go."
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- Historic Salt Lake building now home to...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Man dies in paragliding crash on Utah Lake
- Jury convicts San Juan County commissioner...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 124
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 37
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- 2 Utah chiefs with Baltimore ties say... 19
- Provo businessman declines push to run... 19
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19