For a couple of months, BYU has been viewed as one of the leading candidates to join the Big 12. Now, there's some talk that Boise State, which just joined the Mountain West Conference this season, could be a candidate, too.
Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury-News reports that "The Big 12, which currently has nine teams but may be down to eight very soon — if Missouri leaves for the SEC — is considering expanding to 12, according to sources. Boise State, Brigham Young, West Virginia and Louisville are under consideration. (That would be a pretty good league, by the way. Six of the 12 teams are currently ranked: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Baylor, West Virginia and Boise State.)"
About BYU, Wilner writes: "No school in the country is tougher to read — many people think they know what the Cougars are thinking and very few actually do. I’ve been told the Cougars are happy with their Olympic sports in the West Coast Conference. Whether they would consider a football-only membership in the Big 12 and whether the Big 12 would consider such an arrangement I don’t know."
Meanwhile, the Big 12 athletic directors, and new commissioner Chuck Neinas, met in Dallas the past couple of days. The main goal is creating solidarity and stability for the league, which officially said goodbye to Texas A&M this week. They're discussing the possibility of adding anywhere from one to four teams, and part of that could depend on Missouri, which reportedly is interested in joining the Southeastern Conference.
Finally, check out the performances of various former BYU basketball players overseas. Watch highlights of guard Trent Whiting pour in 43 points in a game in an Italian league.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20