TOKYO — Maria Kirilenko of Russia defeated Ana Ivonovic 6-3, 6-1 in the third round Wednesday to eliminate another seeded player and advance to the quarterfinals at the Pan Pacific Open.
Kirilenko, who knocked out U.S. Open champion Samantha Stosur on Tuesday, broke her opponent in the first game of the second set and never was threatened by the 12th-ranked Serb, who took a medical timeout midway through the second set because of a sore back.
"To be honest, I was a little bit tired today when I woke up," Kirilenko said. "I didn't have that much time to recover because we finished so late yesterday."
Kirilenko broke Ivonovic again to go up 4-1 in the second set and took advantage of her opponent's sixth double fault in the last game to close out the match.
Kirilenko will next face compatriot Vera Zvonareva, who defeated Iveta Benesova of the Czech Republic 6-1, 6-2.
"You do get more and more confident with each win," said Kirilenko, who has yet to beat Zvonareva in five matches. "I've had so many tough matches against Vera. Hopefully, tomorrow will be another tough one."
Elsewhere, seventh-seeded Marion Bartoli of France coasted to a 6-2, 6-1 win over China's Peng Shuai.
Maria Sharapova, the tournament's No. 2 seed, will face Julia Goerges of Germany, and top-seeded Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark faces Kaia Kenepi of Estonia later Wednesday.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Dick Harmon: It's Taysom Hill time on... 28