BYU notebook: Bronco Mendenhall staying away from Big 12 speculation
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
PROVO — With rumors and speculation swirling daily about the possibility of BYU joining the Big 12 Conference, coach Bronco Mendenhall said he has "no idea" about what's going on.
Mendenhall has insulated himself from all of the talk. He's not even talking to athletic director Tom Holmoe about it.
The coach said he's too busy preparing his team to play Utah State to worry about such things.
When asked about speculation that BYU could be headed to the Big 12, Mendenhall replied, "I have no idea. I'm asked that so much and I've literally blocked myself from any conversations from Tom. He hasn't mentioned a thing to me, nor has (BYU) President (Cecil O.) Samuelson. Nor do I think will they until maybe after the season or if it even comes to the point where I have a say. Man, way too much going on for me to weigh in on it right now."
INJURY UPDATE: Wide receiver Ross Apo, who suffered a concussion in last week's win over Central Florida, is improving and is on track to play Friday against Utah State, said head trainer Kevin Morris.
Linebacker Jordan Pendleton, who was sidelined last week with an ankle injury, is improving. But a decision on whether or not he'll play Friday will be made at game-time.
Offensive lineman Houston Reynolds (sore foot) will also be a game-time decision, Morris said.
PUTNAM SIGHTING: Senior defensive lineman Matt Putnam was ruled academically ineligible prior to fall camp.
He's worked out some of his academic issues and is practicing with the scout team. However, he may not play this season, which is his final year of eligibility.
"Matt Putnam has now been admitting into the university and has enough hours to practice with the team," Mendenhall said. "He felt really strongly that he would like to finish his senior year helping in any way that he could."
SUNDAY VOTING: For the first time in his career, Mendenhall is one of the voters in the USA Today/Coaches' Top 25 poll this season.
How is that going so far?
"It's kind of an acquired taste," Mendenhall said.
Every week, he must compile his top 25, and submit it, by Sunday at 9 a.m.
"I wake up Sunday morning and before I prepare my Primary lesson, I'm working on my voting," Mendenhall said. "I think I'm voting fairly, but there might be more coaches that are into the statistical parts and spending more hours than I am. But I'm having to follow college football more closely than I have normally."
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Stewart has brought back an identity —...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 61
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 55
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 39
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 37
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31