Utah Utes football: Offensive lineman Miles Mason only needed a week to earn starting role
"He comes from a program where the offensive line coach is phenomenal and has been coaching for 30 years," Davis said. "He's a hard-line guy and the guys you get out of his program are great."
Davis also believes Mason's basketball background has given him "great feet," which is a plus for an offensive lineman.
"Miles has done a great job," says Davis. "He's real good about paying attention. He wants to be a good offensive lineman. Hopefully we can keep teaching him and keep him going."
As for basketball, Mason says he still enjoys playing in the offseason and will continue to play hoops for fun.
So what is the best part of his game?
"My low-post game," he says with a smile. "Oh yeah, my post-up move."
For now, Mason will continue pushing people around on the football field rather than on the basketball court.
"He's got a real bright future and we're lucky to have him," says Davis.
Miles Mason file
Weight: 318 pounds
Hometown: Los Angeles
Year in school: Junior
Position: Offensive guard
Late start: Didn't join Utes until final week of fall camp
2011 season: Has started all three games and earned a 79 percent grade on the O-line
Notable: Played basketball for 4 years in high school, but didn't play football until his senior year
Utes on the air
Washington (3-1, 1-0 Pac-12) at Utah (2-1, 0-1)
Saturday, 5 p.m.
TV: ROOT (FSN) Radio: 700 AM
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- Hard work, dedication pay off for Utah's Karl...
- LIVE TODAY: Deseret News live streaming...
- ESPN trivia guru: University of Utah graduate...
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino leaves BYU...
- High school softball: Copper Hills earns a...
- Randy Hollis: Coach Phil Russell made a huge...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 32
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 29
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino... 11
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8