Sen., and astronaut, Jake Garn's recent My View ("Modernizing nuclear weapons testing methods is essential," Sept. 25) was a welcome relief from the partisan grandstanding so common from today's elected officials.
Ever the statesman, Garn eloquently articulates his support for a Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban that will improve national security, curb the proliferation of nuclear weapons and safeguard Utahns from the threat of renewed nuclear weapons testing in Nevada.
It looks like it took an astronaut to rise above the mire of politics and display real vision on our nation's future. Perhaps it will be worth sending Sen. Mike Lee and Sen. Orrin Hatch to space so they can see with the same clarity as Garn.
Salt Lake City
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage hurts...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism
- Robert Bennett: Make climate conversations...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Letter: Dance dress code
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage debate...
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 103
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage... 83
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 63
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism 37
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 35