Sen., and astronaut, Jake Garn's recent My View ("Modernizing nuclear weapons testing methods is essential," Sept. 25) was a welcome relief from the partisan grandstanding so common from today's elected officials.
Ever the statesman, Garn eloquently articulates his support for a Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban that will improve national security, curb the proliferation of nuclear weapons and safeguard Utahns from the threat of renewed nuclear weapons testing in Nevada.
It looks like it took an astronaut to rise above the mire of politics and display real vision on our nation's future. Perhaps it will be worth sending Sen. Mike Lee and Sen. Orrin Hatch to space so they can see with the same clarity as Garn.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Earmarks are becoming a...
- Letter: Elected representatives
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- In our opinion:: Nelson Mandela left legacy...
- If Iran truly wants only nuclear energy, it...
- The winners and the losers
- Letter: No limits
- Michael Gerson: Cancer has helped me see life...
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 53
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Letter: Elected representatives 31
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be... 19
- Letter: No limits 19
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15
- Richard Davis: Don't turn A.G. into an... 11