Sen., and astronaut, Jake Garn's recent My View ("Modernizing nuclear weapons testing methods is essential," Sept. 25) was a welcome relief from the partisan grandstanding so common from today's elected officials.
Ever the statesman, Garn eloquently articulates his support for a Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban that will improve national security, curb the proliferation of nuclear weapons and safeguard Utahns from the threat of renewed nuclear weapons testing in Nevada.
It looks like it took an astronaut to rise above the mire of politics and display real vision on our nation's future. Perhaps it will be worth sending Sen. Mike Lee and Sen. Orrin Hatch to space so they can see with the same clarity as Garn.
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: Can Chaffetz fix the Postal...
- My View: Protecting Moab through a Master...
- Arthur Cyr: How Harry Potter creator trumps...
- Jay Evensen: Be forgiving, you might live longer
- In our opinion: Drone use must be regulated...
- Kathleen Parker: Has penitent sinner Trump...
- Dan Liljenquist: Ignoring basic economics in...
- Letter: Founders and 2nd Amendment
- Letter: Founders and 2nd Amendment 93
- Letter: Register kitchen knives 44
- Letter: Climate change disagreements 42
- Letter: Knowledge about guns 30
- In our opinion: Leaders must do what... 30
- Dan Liljenquist: Ignoring basic... 28
- Kathleen Parker: Has penitent sinner... 25
- In our opinion: California considering... 24