Sen., and astronaut, Jake Garn's recent My View ("Modernizing nuclear weapons testing methods is essential," Sept. 25) was a welcome relief from the partisan grandstanding so common from today's elected officials.
Ever the statesman, Garn eloquently articulates his support for a Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban that will improve national security, curb the proliferation of nuclear weapons and safeguard Utahns from the threat of renewed nuclear weapons testing in Nevada.
It looks like it took an astronaut to rise above the mire of politics and display real vision on our nation's future. Perhaps it will be worth sending Sen. Mike Lee and Sen. Orrin Hatch to space so they can see with the same clarity as Garn.
Salt Lake City
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- About Utah: Others opened the door, but she...
- Doug Robinson: Leonardo chief's doing a job...
- My view: Biggest reason for physician shortage
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look at the...
- In our opinion: Those intolerable TSA...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 83
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 57
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 38
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 37
- My view: A de-sexed society is a... 35
- In our opinion: Those intolerable TSA... 22
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 22
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22