Dick Harmon: Former BYU basketball star Travis Hansen is a 'regular guy' whose life has made a big difference to others
But for the present, he'll work for Little Heroes, pushing the cause.
"Someday, I'd like to do radio or TV, perhaps write for the Deseret News, or do financial planning or something like that," he said.
But it is good to be home and around family and friends.
"I've been blessed," he said. "We've been blessed."
Both times Hansen had surgery for athletic injuries, good things happened. The first, after his Achilles' tear, he had his best season ever. After his back surgery, his wife LaRee found a baby to adopt and brought little Halle home within days of discovering the availability.
"Last Christmas we were sealed to Halle in the temple," he said. "It was a remarkable experience."
Hansen said the experiences he and LaRee have had and the relationships they've experienced have been a dream come true, a different world than that day they left for Atlanta and LaRee couldn't hold back the tears.
"Every good thing that has happened to me is a result of my mom telling me to go on a mission and me going on that mission," Hansen said.
Athletically, Hansen still feels the ability to soar and dunk. In coming years, those skills will fade like they do for all our stars.
Hansen did enjoy his time under the bright lights but he understands that world can dim.
Wisely, Hansen has built his treasures on a foundation not of sand.
That is the only way to retire and walk away.
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- BYU basketball: Cougars leery of facing...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- Tournament central: 5A boys championship live...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up short...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 49
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 47
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 29
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28