Dick Harmon: Former BYU basketball star Travis Hansen is a 'regular guy' whose life has made a big difference to others
But for the present, he'll work for Little Heroes, pushing the cause.
"Someday, I'd like to do radio or TV, perhaps write for the Deseret News, or do financial planning or something like that," he said.
But it is good to be home and around family and friends.
"I've been blessed," he said. "We've been blessed."
Both times Hansen had surgery for athletic injuries, good things happened. The first, after his Achilles' tear, he had his best season ever. After his back surgery, his wife LaRee found a baby to adopt and brought little Halle home within days of discovering the availability.
"Last Christmas we were sealed to Halle in the temple," he said. "It was a remarkable experience."
Hansen said the experiences he and LaRee have had and the relationships they've experienced have been a dream come true, a different world than that day they left for Atlanta and LaRee couldn't hold back the tears.
"Every good thing that has happened to me is a result of my mom telling me to go on a mission and me going on that mission," Hansen said.
Athletically, Hansen still feels the ability to soar and dunk. In coming years, those skills will fade like they do for all our stars.
Hansen did enjoy his time under the bright lights but he understands that world can dim.
Wisely, Hansen has built his treasures on a foundation not of sand.
That is the only way to retire and walk away.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utah Jazz: Red-hot Jazz shock the Kings, 122-101
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 101
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 82
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 70
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 51
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah Utes basketball: AD Chris Hill... 38