Dick Harmon: A Change of views provided Brandon Doman with plenty to see
"We had to earn it," said Heaps. "They weren't going to give it to us. It was gratifying to see our guys make plays. It was good to see things go our way at critical points in the game."
Bronco Mendenhall said the decision for Doman to leave the field and go up in the press box was all his, and his alone.
Mendenhall said Doman's decision on the proximity to play calls came Friday.
"Brandon wants our football team to be better and wants to do the best job he can do. He struggled with that decision because he's been trying to get know his staff members and find what he could do. He has a strong personality and he thought may be best to look in the eyes of players and make that count so he decided to be on the field.
"On game day Brandon felt his vision of the field (from above) was something he wanted more of and had Lance Reynolds, with his calm resolve and perspective, go down on the field."
In defense of Doman, his offense, and Heaps against the Knights, BYU had very challenging field position in the first half with possessions that started twice from their own 11 and once from the 7.
The Cougars also played more than half the game without freshman receiver Ross Apo, who suffered a concussion right before BYU's first score — a field goal by Justin Sorensen that tied the game 3-3 with 6:19 to play in the first quarter.
To the point Apo left the game, Heaps had lost a player that had produced 100 percent of the Cougars' offensive touchdowns through three games.
"We haven't arrived, but it is a positive step," said Mendenhall, who said the victory that leveled BYU's season at 2-2 came just in time after a week where things were said that hurt his players and himself after the Utah loss.
"We all needed it," said the coach. "Anytime you play or perform or coach below your potential you are anxious to show to your self but to feel different in a more positive way."
Perches, plays and plenty of passion.
That's what BYU displayed in the win over UCF.
"It wasn't easy but we found a way," concluded Mendenhall.
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 46
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 36
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30