Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Orchestra at Temple Square, under the direction of Igor Gruppman, will present "An Autumn Concert" on Oct. 21 and 22 at 7:30 p.m. in the Tabernacle. The concert will feature music by the Orchestra at Temple Square, led by Gruppman, conductor of the Orchestra. Christian Smith, principal bassoonist for the orchestra, will be featured in Vivaldi's Concerto for Bassoon in E-flat Major (RV 483).
Other repertoire on the concert will include Bach's aria for alto and solo violin, "Erbarme dich, mein Gott, um meiner Z?ren Willen!" from the St. Matthew Passion and the 6th movement from Mahler's Symphony No. 3.
The Orchestra at Temple Square was formed in 1999, under the direction of Gordon B. Hinckley, then President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Its charter as an all-volunteer musical organization is to accompany the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and to perform in two concerts of its own each year.
Gruppman was named conductor of the Orchestra at Temple Square in 2003. He enjoys a career as a violin soloist, conductor, concertmaster and chamber musician and has appeared in the great European capitals and in the major cities of North America, Israel, and New Zealand. He has been a frequent guest with such orchestras as the London Symphony Orchestra and the Royal Philharmonic, and has worked with conductors Sir Georg Solti, Mstislav Rostropovich, Sir Colin Davis, Christoph Eschenbach, and Bernard Haitink. In addition to his duties with the Orchestra at Temple Square, he is currently concertmaster of the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra.
Tabernacle doors will open at 6:30 p.m. the evening of the concert. Tickets are required but are free to the public and are limited to those 8 years of age and older. They are available at www.lds.org/events or by calling 801-570-0080 or toll-free 1-866-537-8457.
- New friends plan to work together to defend...
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 108
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 38
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 35
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 35
- New friends plan to work together to... 29
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 17
- 5 reasons why we want to believe Jesus... 15