Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Orchestra at Temple Square, under the direction of Igor Gruppman, will present "An Autumn Concert" on Oct. 21 and 22 at 7:30 p.m. in the Tabernacle. The concert will feature music by the Orchestra at Temple Square, led by Gruppman, conductor of the Orchestra. Christian Smith, principal bassoonist for the orchestra, will be featured in Vivaldi's Concerto for Bassoon in E-flat Major (RV 483).
Other repertoire on the concert will include Bach's aria for alto and solo violin, "Erbarme dich, mein Gott, um meiner Z?ren Willen!" from the St. Matthew Passion and the 6th movement from Mahler's Symphony No. 3.
The Orchestra at Temple Square was formed in 1999, under the direction of Gordon B. Hinckley, then President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Its charter as an all-volunteer musical organization is to accompany the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and to perform in two concerts of its own each year.
Gruppman was named conductor of the Orchestra at Temple Square in 2003. He enjoys a career as a violin soloist, conductor, concertmaster and chamber musician and has appeared in the great European capitals and in the major cities of North America, Israel, and New Zealand. He has been a frequent guest with such orchestras as the London Symphony Orchestra and the Royal Philharmonic, and has worked with conductors Sir Georg Solti, Mstislav Rostropovich, Sir Colin Davis, Christoph Eschenbach, and Bernard Haitink. In addition to his duties with the Orchestra at Temple Square, he is currently concertmaster of the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra.
Tabernacle doors will open at 6:30 p.m. the evening of the concert. Tickets are required but are free to the public and are limited to those 8 years of age and older. They are available at www.lds.org/events or by calling 801-570-0080 or toll-free 1-866-537-8457.
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- President Uchtfdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS...
- LDS Church releases video about overcoming...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in the...
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list of...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 89
- LDS Church releases video about... 42
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 20
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 19
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 6