Utah Utes football: Jordan Wynn moving up U. QB lists despite shoulder
SALT LAKE CITY — When it comes to talk about his surgically repaired shoulder, Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn is opting to pass. After three games, he's much more interested in discussing other things.
"I feel good and I think I'm 100 percent, right around there," Wynn said. "I feel comfortable with myself. I trust myself more and more each week."
And there's statistical proof to back it.
Wynn has thrown for more than 200 yards in back-to-back games, including a season-high 239 in last Saturday's 54-10 win at BYU.
For the season, Wynn has completed 54-of-99 passes for 578 yards. He's thrown five touchdown passes and just one interception.
Bouncing back from surgery, he noted, has been a process. One, perhaps, that is more mental than physical.
"Anytime something like that happens you've got to get over something that's in your mind. That's just part of it," Wynn said. "I think I'm handling it pretty well and have just got to continue handling it well."
Wynn is confident he has pretty much made it through the lengthy process, which has included variables such as physical challenges.
"I think I'm there, though," Wynn said. "I feel good and am just ready to continue and get ready for this long stretch of games that we've got."
The Utes, who have a bye this week, return to action Oct. 1 at home against Washington. It'll usher in a string of nine consecutive weeks with games.
To gear up for things, Wynn is heading home to San Diego this weekend to relax and see his younger brother, Connor, play. The sophomore is the starting quarterback for Mission Hills High School.
"He's a freak. I'm going to go watch him," said Wynn, who also plans to get a head start on things by watching the California-Washington game on television.
When Wynn faces the Huskies, he'll do so as the ninth all-time passer in Utah history with 4,241 yards. He needs just 162 more to pass Don Van Galder (1971-73) for No. 8 on the list. That's where Wynn is on Utah's career touchdown chart, in a tie with Frank Dolce at 30. Brett Ratliff is seventh with 31.
Wynn in 2011
Opponent Comp-Att-Int Yards TDs Long
Montana State 15-23-0 101 2 15
At USC 23-46-0 238 1 30
At BYU 16-30-1 239 2 59
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball...
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak hires...
- Prep softball: Lehi whips Herriman twice to...
- High school boys soccer: Freshman lifts...
- Prep softball: Spanish Fork wins 4A title...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 125
- Guest commentary: Want national... 66
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 45
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 39
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 36
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 30
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 20