NEW YORK — Tony Bennett says he's sorry for suggesting the United States provoked the 9/11 attacks.
Bennett said Wednesday that he was only expressing his feelings as a pacifist when he said the United States caused the 9/11 attacks by bombing people. He made the comments during an interview on Howard Stern's radio show Monday.
Bennett issued a written statement saying there is no excuse for terrorism and the killing of innocent people in the attacks.
Bennett said that he is a proud World War II veteran, but that his experiences in war and marching with Martin Luther King Jr. had led him believe that violence begets violence.
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- Ferguson protesters across US peaceful,...
- Steven Powell ordered to serve more jail time...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- These two things are helping California's...
- UC students walk out to protest tuition hikes
- In Britain, US turkey dinner is big for business
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 18
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13