Whittingham focused on this year
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham heard all about the Pac-12's decision not to expand. The news, however, isn't something he's spending a lot of time thinking about.
"I don't have an opinion one way or the other right now," Whittingham said. "I think that's just for the moment. I think in the future, like I've said before, things will probably change."
Speculation that the Pac-12 might add Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech isn't something Whittingham and the Utes have been concerned about — "at all," he noted.
"At this point and time, we're just getting through the schedule we have this year," Whittingham said. "But commissioner (Larry) Scott is a smart guy and he's going to make sure he does what's in the best interest of the Pac-12."
— Dirk Facer
Conference madness not over
Though the conference carousel has seemingly stopped spinning in the West, the music plays on in the East and the Southwest.
The Big East will look to add at least two members to replace Syracuse and Pittsburgh who are headed to the Atlantic Coast Conference. The league plans to target Navy and Air Force, according to an official in the Big East who asked to remain anonymous given the sensitivity of the discussions. East Carolina formally applied to the Big East, but the Pirates aren't considered to be a primary candidate.
The Southeastern Conference might also look to add a team once Texas A&M's move to the SEC is finalized. With the Aggies, the SEC is a 13-team league. The SEC will likely add a 14th team at some point so it will have two seven-team divisions.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25