Whittingham focused on this year
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham heard all about the Pac-12's decision not to expand. The news, however, isn't something he's spending a lot of time thinking about.
"I don't have an opinion one way or the other right now," Whittingham said. "I think that's just for the moment. I think in the future, like I've said before, things will probably change."
Speculation that the Pac-12 might add Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech isn't something Whittingham and the Utes have been concerned about — "at all," he noted.
"At this point and time, we're just getting through the schedule we have this year," Whittingham said. "But commissioner (Larry) Scott is a smart guy and he's going to make sure he does what's in the best interest of the Pac-12."
— Dirk Facer
Conference madness not over
Though the conference carousel has seemingly stopped spinning in the West, the music plays on in the East and the Southwest.
The Big East will look to add at least two members to replace Syracuse and Pittsburgh who are headed to the Atlantic Coast Conference. The league plans to target Navy and Air Force, according to an official in the Big East who asked to remain anonymous given the sensitivity of the discussions. East Carolina formally applied to the Big East, but the Pirates aren't considered to be a primary candidate.
The Southeastern Conference might also look to add a team once Texas A&M's move to the SEC is finalized. With the Aggies, the SEC is a 13-team league. The SEC will likely add a 14th team at some point so it will have two seven-team divisions.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24