Whittingham focused on this year
Utah coach Kyle Whittingham heard all about the Pac-12's decision not to expand. The news, however, isn't something he's spending a lot of time thinking about.
"I don't have an opinion one way or the other right now," Whittingham said. "I think that's just for the moment. I think in the future, like I've said before, things will probably change."
Speculation that the Pac-12 might add Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech isn't something Whittingham and the Utes have been concerned about — "at all," he noted.
"At this point and time, we're just getting through the schedule we have this year," Whittingham said. "But commissioner (Larry) Scott is a smart guy and he's going to make sure he does what's in the best interest of the Pac-12."
— Dirk Facer
Conference madness not over
Though the conference carousel has seemingly stopped spinning in the West, the music plays on in the East and the Southwest.
The Big East will look to add at least two members to replace Syracuse and Pittsburgh who are headed to the Atlantic Coast Conference. The league plans to target Navy and Air Force, according to an official in the Big East who asked to remain anonymous given the sensitivity of the discussions. East Carolina formally applied to the Big East, but the Pirates aren't considered to be a primary candidate.
The Southeastern Conference might also look to add a team once Texas A&M's move to the SEC is finalized. With the Aggies, the SEC is a 13-team league. The SEC will likely add a 14th team at some point so it will have two seven-team divisions.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 22
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 21
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 9
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 8