WOMEN'S SOCCER: For the first time in school history the Westminster College women's soccer team is ranked in the NAIA Women's Soccer Coaches' Top 25 Poll. The third edition of the 2011 poll was released by the national office on Tuesday, and Westminster received 122 points to place 24th in the poll.
The Griffins defeated then-No. 25 Kansas Wesleyan, 5-1, on Sept. 16 to push the Coyotes out of the rankings. Behind a 6-3-0 record, Westminster has won its last two matches by a 9-2 combined score. Kansas Wesleyan was the only squad to fall out of the Top 25 this week.
For the first time this year, there is a unanimous selection at the top of the poll. No. 1 Azusa Pacific (Calif.) gathered all 22 first-place votes to take home the top ranking for the third-consecutive week. The Cougars, who posted 622 total points, will take some time off before a home match against No. 18 Point Loma Nazarene (Calif.) on Oct. 1.
The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences/independents/unaffiliated groups. The next regular-season Top 25 poll will be announced on Sept. 27.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18