WOMEN'S SOCCER: For the first time in school history the Westminster College women's soccer team is ranked in the NAIA Women's Soccer Coaches' Top 25 Poll. The third edition of the 2011 poll was released by the national office on Tuesday, and Westminster received 122 points to place 24th in the poll.
The Griffins defeated then-No. 25 Kansas Wesleyan, 5-1, on Sept. 16 to push the Coyotes out of the rankings. Behind a 6-3-0 record, Westminster has won its last two matches by a 9-2 combined score. Kansas Wesleyan was the only squad to fall out of the Top 25 this week.
For the first time this year, there is a unanimous selection at the top of the poll. No. 1 Azusa Pacific (Calif.) gathered all 22 first-place votes to take home the top ranking for the third-consecutive week. The Cougars, who posted 622 total points, will take some time off before a home match against No. 18 Point Loma Nazarene (Calif.) on Oct. 1.
The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences/independents/unaffiliated groups. The next regular-season Top 25 poll will be announced on Sept. 27.
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz
- BYU football players like the variety, travel...
- Defensive effort, accountability among Utah...
- Is independence a viable option for BYU, or...
- 10 with ties to Utah set for NBA Summer...
- Jazz match, Gordon Hayward to sign four-year,...
- LeBron James says he's returning to Cavaliers
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 285
- Is independence a viable option for... 123
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 65
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 31
- Utah Jazz almost on the clock to match... 27
- Big turnout of fans buoys Jazz 17
- Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to... 14
- Utah Utes to face familiar faces in... 13