WOMEN'S SOCCER: For the first time in school history the Westminster College women's soccer team is ranked in the NAIA Women's Soccer Coaches' Top 25 Poll. The third edition of the 2011 poll was released by the national office on Tuesday, and Westminster received 122 points to place 24th in the poll.
The Griffins defeated then-No. 25 Kansas Wesleyan, 5-1, on Sept. 16 to push the Coyotes out of the rankings. Behind a 6-3-0 record, Westminster has won its last two matches by a 9-2 combined score. Kansas Wesleyan was the only squad to fall out of the Top 25 this week.
For the first time this year, there is a unanimous selection at the top of the poll. No. 1 Azusa Pacific (Calif.) gathered all 22 first-place votes to take home the top ranking for the third-consecutive week. The Cougars, who posted 622 total points, will take some time off before a home match against No. 18 Point Loma Nazarene (Calif.) on Oct. 1.
The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences/independents/unaffiliated groups. The next regular-season Top 25 poll will be announced on Sept. 27.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48