Healing power: LDS recovery program points addicts to the Savior
The 12 steps of the LDS Addiction Recovery Program
1. Admit that you, of yourself, are powerless to overcome your addictions and that your life has become unmanageable.
2. Come to believe that the power of God can restore you to complete spiritual health.
3. Decide to turn your will and your life over to the care of God the Eternal Father and his Son, Jesus Christ.
4. Make a searching and fearless written moral inventory of yourself.
5. Admit to yourself, to your Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ, to proper priesthood authority, and to another person the exact nature of your wrongs.
6. Become entirely ready to have God remove all your character weaknesses.
7. Humbly ask Heavenly Father to remove your shortcomings.
8. Make a written list of all persons you have harmed and become willing to make restitution to them.
9. Wherever possible, make direct restitution to all persons you have harmed.
10. Continue to take personal inventory, and when you are wrong promptly admit it.
11. Seek through prayer and meditation to know the Lord's will and to have the power to carry it out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, share this message with others and practice these principles in all you do.
Source: LDS Family Services Resources
Scriptures to help one learn more about avoiding and overcoming addiction:
2 Samuel 11
Matthew 5:8, 28; 23:26-28
2 Nephi 1:13; 9:15-16, 39, 45; 28:21
Jacob 2; 3:11
Mosiah 3:19; 4:29-30; 5:2
Alma 26:13-14; 36:13-14, 17-20
Doctrine and Covenants 43:11; 58:43; 133:5
Source: LDS.org suggestions
After 23 years of experience, Rod Hunt has seen many people overcome addictions through the Atonement of Jesus Christ and become productive members of society. These are nine suggestions he likes to share with recovering addicts:
1. Figure out what is more important than your drug of choice, then seek after those things.
2. Everyone needs a spiritual component in their daily life.
3. Work the 12-step program forever. "No complacency, baby."
4. Always be honest, open and willing.
5. Change your lifestyle by finding good friends, those who really want the best for you, and leave behind those who don't.
6. Change your body chemistry by changing your eating and exercise habits.
7. Look to grow spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically and financially (SMEPF).
8. Remember you have value, unique talents and abilities, and use them for good.
9. You have been helped, now reach out and help someone else.
email: firstname.lastname@example.org TWITTER: tbtoone
- Discovery of chiasmus in Book of Mormon...
- LDS addiction recovery video: David's story...
- Overcoming drugs, alcohol, pornography:...
- Newly announced 'Saturday's Warrior' cast to...
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos of real...
- The Ashley Madison hack points a theologian...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- ... 54
- Discovery of chiasmus in Book of Mormon... 34
- Obama bristles at anti-Semitism charges... 17
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 11
- LDS addiction recovery video: David's... 10
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos... 9
- 14 things you’ll find in Donald... 7
- Overcoming drugs, alcohol, pornography:... 6